Traveling to India on eVisa without cancelled Indian passport in hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling to India on eVisa without cancelled Indian passport in hand

Hi, I got my US citizenship recently and have successfully got a US passport made. Just a few days ago, I applied for renunciation plus OCI to CKGS. Its been several days and I have not got my renunciation/cancelled passport yet, so I called CKGS and told them that I have not got my renunciation. They told me that since I chose to send both applications together, OCI and renunciation/cancelled Indian passport will be sent together back to me. This means that (a) I will have to wait at least 2 more months for the documents to come back to me and (b) I cannot apply for my son's OCI as my renunciation certificate/cancelled indian passport copies are needed. What a bummer! Anyways since my kid's paperwork will be delayed, I have decided to take a quick trip to India alone to check well-being of parents.
    I do plan to apply for e-Visa and will not have renunciation certificate/ cancelled Indian passport in hand while traveling to India. One of the posts on Immihelp did suggest these documents are not needed, however, was wondering if anyone has had experiences lately where they were asked for renunciation certificate/ cancelled Indian passport? Just checking, its better to be safe rather than be turned away!
    Thank you for reading! Best regards.

Originally posted by gaggz View Post
    Hi, I got my US citizenship recently and have successfully got a US passport made. Just a few days ago, I applied for renunciation plus OCI to CKGS. Its been several days and I have not got my renunciation/cancelled passport yet, so I called CKGS and told them that I have not got my renunciation. They told me that since I chose to send both applications together, OCI and renunciation/cancelled Indian passport will be sent together back to me. This means that (a) I will have to wait at least 2 more months for the documents to come back to me and (b) I cannot apply for my son's OCI as my renunciation certificate/cancelled indian passport copies are needed. What a bummer! Anyways since my kid's paperwork will be delayed, I have decided to take a quick trip to India alone to check well-being of parents.
    I do plan to apply for e-Visa and will not have renunciation certificate/ cancelled Indian passport in hand while traveling to India. One of the posts on Immihelp did suggest these documents are not needed, however, was wondering if anyone has had experiences lately where they were asked for renunciation certificate/ cancelled Indian passport? Just checking, its better to be safe rather than be turned away!
    you have have no problem with no surrender Indian passport and is never been required at custom

Comment

Dear Applicant,

We request you to share your queries and contact details at [email protected] to better assist you.

Please mention the link of this post in your email.

Regards,
      CKGS USA Team.

Comment

Hello Ggggz- were you able to travel to India without renunciation certificate? Did you apply an eVisa or regular visa?
        Thanks

Comment

I got US citizenship yesterday and applied for e travel visa on same day. Today at 11 am I got approved email about my e travel visa. Total response time is less than 24 hours. Very good!!

My India passport is still wth me and I plan to renounce it when I am in India. Plan to come to US within 60 days and then apply for OCI/VISA.

Comment

e-VISA Application Query

When you applied for e-VISA, did you mention that you have two active passports - US and Indian? Or did you say just US passport?

Comment

eVisa Application Query

Creative - Since you possess both the US passport as well as the Indian passport, did you mention those two passport details in your eVISA application? Thanks!

Comment

Can you please share your experience? were you able to travel to India without Renunciation certificate/cancelled Indian passport? Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by creative74 View Post
                I got US citizenship yesterday and applied for e travel visa on same day. Today at 11 am I got approved email about my e travel visa. Total response time is less than 24 hours. Very good!!

My India passport is still wth me and I plan to renounce it when I am in India. Plan to come to US within 60 days and then apply for OCI/VISA.
                Can you please share your experience? were you able to travel to India without Renunciation certificate/cancelled Indian passport?

Also, where in India we can apply for Renunciation? I appreciate your help! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by creative74 View Post

Hi,

How was your travel experience. Any issue at the airport?

Comment

Were there any issues entering on e-visa without renunciation? Was the ETA print out enough? Were there any questions asked? Appreciate sharing any experiences. thanks.

Comment

In case others are looking... There were no issues, though I was asked if I had the old (indian) passport number handy. I said no. I was also asked a few additional questions because the passport was brand new and had no history.

Originally posted by madman View Post
                      Were there any issues entering on e-visa without renunciation? Was the ETA print out enough? Were there any questions asked? Appreciate sharing any experiences. thanks.

Comment

My understanding is that once you get US citizenship, your Indian passport is immediately invalid. Second, in order to apply for a paper visa (such as a 10 year visa), one needs a renunciation certificate. It is interesting to note that the e-visa has not be disabled for those who do not have a renunciation certificate. I would recommend everyone to get one, because you never know how rules can change. More over, by delaying the renunciation application, there is a penalty fee for it. A few years back, the consulate realized it is mandatory. But they grandfathered anyone prior to 2008 and did not apply a penalty.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                        X