My experience with converting PIO to OCI under San Francisco jurisdiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My experience with converting PIO to OCI under San Francisco jurisdiction

Don't have any questions yet, but trying to write down my agony and experience while doing this and hopefully it will help someone else.

1. I had PIO for a while. Tried to apply for my kids OCI when I was in India. FRRO at Bangalore said they need me to first convert to OCI and then apply to kids OCI. There is no rule like that that prevents my kids applying for OCI. Bangalore FRRO won't even accept my application. So gave up on that idea in 2012.

2. Back in US. Started the process to convert mine to OCI and apply for OCI for kids an year back. Filled everything and got scared to go through the paper work and rest of the process.

3. Decided to take the plunge and started to convert my PIO to OCI. I don't quite understand why different instructions for different jurisdictions, but I stopped asked questions long back with GOI.

4. New OCI application or OCI in lieu of PIO? - It is obvious that I need to apply for 'OCI in liue of PIO'. Went through the check list on CKGS and at step 5 it takes me to GOI website to fill application online. There is a special instruction for PIO holders on the top saying "Start registration as New OCI-Registration" and then submit PIO. Did just that and application got rejected after sending to CKGS through fedex saying re-apply with 'OCI in lieu of PIO'. (https://passport.gov.in/oci/pioInstruct)

It's no brainer. I don't understand why give special instruction to mislead and then reject.

5. On the first page (step 1), CKGS says for san francisco, no need of originals and send self-attested copies. It is printed in red saying important note. On the document list, no where it says self-attestation is needed. I sen an email to ckgs. Got reply saying follow what documentation says. Then called their number and got the same response. Asked him to go through the instructions and suggest either way. He then suggests no need to self-attest. I pointed out at the website and other forums saying that they did. Got the suggestion that, then do it. At this point I realized it's of no use and sent all the copies self attested.

6. One of the documents mentioned is 'affidavit in lieu of originals'. There is no place for us to sign on this. No notary will accept it as it is. I signed randomly some where on the sheet and got another one from notary in the standard for that they use.

Process is still going on... I will update if I find anything useful. If this is in violation of forum, please remove the post.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by serra142 View Post
    Don't have any questions yet, but trying to write down my agony and experience while doing this and hopefully it will help someone else.

1. I had PIO for a while. Tried to apply for my kids OCI when I was in India. FRRO at Bangalore said they need me to first convert to OCI and then apply to kids OCI. There is no rule like that that prevents my kids applying for OCI. Bangalore FRRO won't even accept my application. So gave up on that idea in 2012.

2. Back in US. Started the process to convert mine to OCI and apply for OCI for kids an year back. Filled everything and got scared to go through the paper work and rest of the process.

3. Decided to take the plunge and started to convert my PIO to OCI. I don't quite understand why different instructions for different jurisdictions, but I stopped asked questions long back with GOI.

4. New OCI application or OCI in lieu of PIO? - It is obvious that I need to apply for 'OCI in liue of PIO'. Went through the check list on CKGS and at step 5 it takes me to GOI website to fill application online. There is a special instruction for PIO holders on the top saying "Start registration as New OCI-Registration" and then submit PIO. Did just that and application got rejected after sending to CKGS through fedex saying re-apply with 'OCI in lieu of PIO'. (https://passport.gov.in/oci/pioInstruct)

It's no brainer. I don't understand why give special instruction to mislead and then reject.

5. On the first page (step 1), CKGS says for san francisco, no need of originals and send self-attested copies. It is printed in red saying important note. On the document list, no where it says self-attestation is needed. I sen an email to ckgs. Got reply saying follow what documentation says. Then called their number and got the same response. Asked him to go through the instructions and suggest either way. He then suggests no need to self-attest. I pointed out at the website and other forums saying that they did. Got the suggestion that, then do it. At this point I realized it's of no use and sent all the copies self attested.

6. One of the documents mentioned is 'affidavit in lieu of originals'. There is no place for us to sign on this. No notary will accept it as it is. I signed randomly some where on the sheet and got another one from notary in the standard for that they use.

Process is still going on... I will update if I find anything useful. If this is in violation of forum, please remove the post.

come on guys. pio to oci is the simplest documents now. i am offering services help.inbox me for more information

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X