NVC Civil Docs - Birth Certificate - My Mother born in Burma in 1930s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVC Civil Docs - Birth Certificate - My Mother born in Burma in 1930s

I have applied for Immigrant Visa for my mother. I haven't got the case number yet. But I am getting the documents together. My mother was born in Rangoon in Myanmar(Burma) and has to leave for India during 2nd world war and Japanese invasion. As a result, she does not have a birth certificate. However she does have a affidavit from her surviving uncle (95 years old) verifying her parents and birth date.

Reciprocity page for US Consulate in Burma clearly says that the birth records of the people born before 2nd World War (1943) are destroyed and not maintained. In this scenario, going thru the effort (which is not possible) to write to local municipality in Rangoon will not lead any where. Can she just make a statement quoting reciprocity page of non-availability and produce affidavit?

Thanks

The "reciprocity" instructions from the State Dept website are reliable for this type of history, but you should attempt to provide alternative proofs of mother's identity in addition to the uncle's affidavit. Such alternative proofs might be your "due diligence" to get a response from a civil authority in Burma, religious, school and medical documents that the family members might have from that period can also be considered.

--Ray B

Originally posted by SaiGrace View Post
    I have applied for Immigrant Visa for my mother. I haven't got the case number yet. But I am getting the documents together. My mother was born in Rangoon in Myanmar(Burma) and has to leave for India during 2nd world war and Japanese invasion. As a result, she does not have a birth certificate. However she does have a affidavit from her surviving uncle (95 years old) verifying her parents and birth date.

Reciprocity page for US Consulate in Burma clearly says that the birth records of the people born before 2nd World War (1943) are destroyed and not maintained. In this scenario, going thru the effort (which is not possible) to write to local municipality in Rangoon will not lead any where. Can she just make a statement quoting reciprocity page of non-availability and produce affidavit?

Thanks

Comment

Civil Documents submitted to NVC

Originally posted by rayb View Post
      The "reciprocity" instructions from the State Dept website are reliable for this type of history, but you should attempt to provide alternative proofs of mother's identity in addition to the uncle's affidavit. Such alternative proofs might be your "due diligence" to get a response from a civil authority in Burma, religious, school and medical documents that the family members might have from that period can also be considered.

--Ray B
      Thanks for prompt reply and suggesting additional documents. Currently I have only one original for following documents-
      1. Govt and municipality issued documents such as birth certificate/marriage certificates and
      2. Stamped paper affidavits and
      3. Supporting documents such as maternity hospital letter (for my birth - proving my relationship to my mother)
      4. Police clearance letter (yet to get)

Apparently NVC needs originals. Your website did mention certified copies.
      How do I make certified copies of the originals which I had got few years back?
      If I send NVC the originals in regular mail, would these be returned to me (or my mother) sometime later?
      Can the docs be scanned and e-mailed to NVC as a package? (I don' t think..but wanted to check)
      Would I need another set of documents for Visa package (after NVC processes it's set and sends to US consulate in Mumbai)?

Thank you.
      Last edited by SaiGrace; 09-01-2016, 01:21 AM.

Comment

The NVC currently accepts PHOTOCOPIES, but at the Embassy interview,, one needs original/certified/true copies.

Which country will the visa be processed in? The NVC requirements have some exceptions, by country, on how to submit civil document copies, but if you are reading "originals for the NVC," your source of information is outdated.

--Ray B

Thanks for prompt reply and suggesting additional documents. Currently I have only one original for following documents-
        1. Govt and municipality issued documents such as birth certificate/marriage certificates and
        2. Stamped paper affidavits and
        3. Supporting documents such as maternity hospital letter (for my birth - proving my relationship to my mother)
        4. Police clearance letter (yet to get)

Apparently NVC needs originals. Your website did mention certified copies.
        How do I make certified copies of the originals which I had got few years back?
        If I send NVC the originals, would these be returned to me (or my mother) sometime later?
        Would I need another set of documents for Visa package (after NVC processes it's set and sends to US consulate in Mumbai)?

Thank you.

Comment

The NVC currently accepts PHOTOCOPIES, but at the Embassy interview,, one needs original/certified/true copies.

Which country will the visa be processed in? The NVC requirements have some exceptions, by country, on how to submit civil document copies, but if you are reading "originals for the NVC," your source of information is outdated.

--Ray B
          Visa will be processed in India. I will send the documents to NVC from USA on my mother's behalf.
          Last edited by SaiGrace; 09-01-2016, 10:49 AM.

Comment

To your question - Visa will be processed in India. I will send the documents to NVC from USA on my mother's behalf. Would Indian consulate accept photocopies?
            To your question - Visa will be processed in India. I will send the documents to NVC from USA on my mother's behalf. Would Indian consulate accept photocopies?

Comment

The copies you send the NVC are photocopies.

Your applicant needs to have originals or certified at her interview in INdia.

--Ray B

Comment

Validity of Police Clearance Certificate

The copies you send the NVC are photocopies.

Your applicant needs to have originals or certified at her interview in INdia.

--Ray B
                Thanks again. hopefully this will be my last clarification - one of the documents to be sent to NVC is the copy POLICE CLEARANCE CERTIFICATE. I was wondering about the validity of Police certificate. I looked into your blogs and Indian Reciprocity requirements. Beneficiary, my mother is in India. Only thing I saw was the beneficiary if is a national of the country(in this case India), has to be in the country for 6 months. There were no clear info about the length of time this certificate would be valid for.

What time period this certificate is valid for and from what date?

I applied to USCIS in mid August and haven't got case number yet. I am planning to obtain police clearance in October. Would that be too soon?
                Last edited by SaiGrace; 09-02-2016, 11:01 PM.

Comment

The NVC needs "copies" of police clearances. But at the Embassy/Consulate interview, the applicant should present a current original of her police clearane.

--Ray B

Thanks again. hopefully this will be my last clarification - one of the documents to be sent to NVC is the copy POLICE CLEARANCE CERTIFICATE. I was wondering about the validity of Police certificate. I looked into your blogs and Indian Reciprocity requirements. Beneficiary, my mother is in India. Only thing I saw was the beneficiary if is a national of the country(in this case India), has to be in the country for 6 months. There were no clear info about the length of time this certificate would be valid for.

What time period this certificate is valid for and from what date?

I applied to USCIS in mid August and haven't got case number yet. I am planning to obtain police clearance in October. Would that be too soon?

Comment

The NVC needs "copies" of police clearances. But at the Embassy/Consulate interview, the applicant should present a current original of her police clearane.

--Ray B

Thanks Ray for all your help. Yes I will include the copy of police clearance for NVC. But my question was how current the police clearance should be. Say from the time of interview. Guess it may be difficult to answer.

Comment

"Current" is best no older than six months pat.

--Ray B

Thanks Ray for all your help. Yes I will include the copy of police clearance for NVC. But my question was how current the police clearance should be. Say from the time of interview. Guess it may be difficult to answer.

Comment

Petition has been accepted by USCIS in Sept 2016, but not heard from NVC

I live in California. Petition (I-130) for my Mother's GC has been accepted by USCIS back in Sept 2016. Since then Status still shows 'Case Received'. I am assuming USCIS has sent the case to NVC. But I have not heard from NVC yet.

When the case moves to NVC, does USCIS sends any message or updates status on it's webpage?
                        How long does it take to hear from NVC?

Any suggestions as to how should I followup?

"Current" is best no older than six months pat.

--Ray B
                        Last edited by SaiGrace; 11-11-2016, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Sai,

Your I-130 will take 3-6 months for review at USCIS. When approved by USCIS, it will be forwarded to the NVC and you and mom will receive correspondence regarding access to the NVC page and document requirements, to be sent with sponsorship documents to the NVC.

--Ray B

I live in California. Petition (I-130) for my Mother's GC has been accepted by USCIS back in Sept 2016. Since then Status still shows 'Case Received'. I am assuming USCIS has sent the case to NVC. But I have not heard from NVC yet.

When the case moves to NVC, does USCIS sends any message or updates status on it's webpage?
                          How long does it take to hear from NVC?

Any suggestions as to how should I followup?

Comment

Non Availability of Birth Records can be requested at the Embassy

Wanted to share my experience in obtaining Non Availability of Birth Records. I am applying for my mother's GC and she was born in Rangoon, Burma in mid 1930s. I contacted local (Los Angeles) Burmese Consulate and they were extremely helpful in procuring Non availability of Birth Certificate with nominal charge. Burmese reciprocity webpage states that non availability letter should be requested at the Rangoon Municipality, but does not mention that if you are not a citizen of Burma, one could apply for it thru local embassy.

It could be possible that several other countries might have a same services.

Thanks

Comment

I am not sure about your country.

But for India, PCC is considered valid (By NVC) for one year after issuance. If one has submitted more than one year old PCC to NVC. NVC usually send checklist to provide a new PCC that is less than one year old.

Same applies, if there is more than one year gap between NVC review and Consulate Interview, Person has to issue new PCC at the time of Interview.

Hope this helps.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X