Offer Letter received from California hospital - visa/green card issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offer Letter received from California hospital - visa/green card issue

Thank you for your time and attention in this matter.

I`m a practicing Canadian family physician with a Canadian medical license - I have not completed my U.S. Exam (USMLE). I received an offer for a primary care position from a hospital in California. I have applied for my California Medical License in the interim since it does not require USMLE results.

The employer is informing me now that they are unable to process my H1-B visa since I have not completed the USMLE.

As an alternative to the H1-B visa, I have read online that employment based green card sponsorship does not require me to complete the USMLE examinations. I have learned that U.S. employers can sponsor Canadian doctors for a green card through an offer of employment (PERM), even if they have not completed the U.S. exam. Interestingly, the main requirement for a Canadian physician seeking an employment based green card is that they be licensed in the state where they will be employed.

Before reaching out to an attorney, can someone with this knowledge on this forum please confirm if the U.S. exam (USMLE) is required if the employer is to sponsor me for an employment based green card.

Thank you!

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X