Malaysia passport renewal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malaysia passport renewal

I just got a conditional green card through adjustment of status and my Malaysian passport expired 20+ years ago. I went to the Malaysia consulate to get my passport renew but they inform me that since my passport expired more than 10 years ago and I don't have a Malaysian IC (or mykad), that I have to go back to Malaysia and get a passport there and can't do anything here.

I tried to get as much as information as I could but the officer just insist that I "HAVE TO" go back. They can issue me a travel document ( emergency passport ) that let me travel one way to Malaysia but I'm worry that if I go back to Malaysia they might deniel of a new passport. I read somewhere that if the passport expired more than 6+ month oversea that there might be a 2 years defer on issuing a new passport.

Has anyone here been through the same or similar situation?

If they refuse to issue me a new passport can I fly back to the US with just my green card and driver license ?

Did you go back?

Hi xamppy, I am in the exact situation as you. I have also read about the deferment of issuance of passport for an expired Malaysian passport.

Just wanted to know if you've managed to go home and gotten your passport renewed?

Comment

Passport is your valid travel document - without that, you wont be allowed to go out of the country.

Have you tried calling the Immigration office in Malaysia?

Comment

Use their Laissez-passer (emergency travel document), go home, and get a new passport

You are a national of their country, you are at the mercy of their rules

If you want to hedge your bets against passport deferment, either get yourself a second passport as backup, or be prepared to enjoy a long vacation abroad (get a re-entry permit)

Comment

Good advice, since I am a Malaysian myself, i know for a fact that the Malaysian Gov can bar people from owning/renewing a passport (it happened to me before, and it was not pleasant) so yeah, confirm the status beforehand, if possible, get a black and white (in form of an email or something) if the officer says it is not a problem for you to get a new passport (but bear in mind that once you are in Malaysia, they can just say "well the officer was wrong and no passport for you)"

I guess it can be tricky if that happens. Better get your re-entry permit ready then (but of course, that wont help if you have stuff to do in the USA).

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
          Use their Laissez-passer (emergency travel document), go home, and get a new passport

You are a national of their country, you are at the mercy of their rules

If you want to hedge your bets against passport deferment, either get yourself a second passport as backup, or be prepared to enjoy a long vacation abroad (get a re-entry permit)

Comment

The appropriate "donation" will solve most problems there

Comment

Sometimes it depends on who you know - i've never had to resolve any issues with "donations" per se but it does help if you are able to escalate your issues to a higher up or different channel. (same with my experience in the UK in this regard).

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
              The appropriate "donation" will solve most problems there

Comment

xampy which consulate did you go to? I heard the NYC consulate is pretty forgiving

Comment

I went to the NYC consulate. I will be going back this coming June via emergency travel document that the consulate provided. I figure during that time I can apply for mykad then apply for my passport renewal. If they refused to renew my passport , I'll use my U.S re-entry permit to get home (the clause in the re-entry permit states that I can use it as a passport if my home country refused to provide me with one.)

Comment

You even lost your mykad?

Anyway, hope everything will go well for you.

Originally posted by xamppy View Post
                    I went to the NYC consulate. I will be going back this coming June via emergency travel document that the consulate provided. I figure during that time I can apply for mykad then apply for my passport renewal. If they refused to renew my passport , I'll use my U.S re-entry permit to get home (the clause in the re-entry permit states that I can use it as a passport if my home country refused to provide me with one.)

Comment

Originally posted by abumiqdad View Post
                      You even lost your mykad?

Anyway, hope everything will go well for you.
                      Thanks, no I didn't lose it, just never had one.

Comment

For what it is worth, I spoke to someone at the NYC consulate who said they will grant me a new passport if I present my MyKad, the expired passport, and proof that I am in the United States legally. I was very clear to them that my passport had expired many many years ago. Xampy, good call on the re-entry permit

Comment

Kinda funny that for a relatively small country, we can find other Malaysians on US Visa forums

and good for you @inadmissible for assisting others (fellow malaysians or not) on this forum.

Comment

Hi xamppy,

How's your status now? Did you manage to renew your Malaysian Passport and a new MyKad?

Originally posted by xamppy View Post

Comment

Hi xamppy, how is your progress of renewing your Malaysian passport? I'm facing the same problem now!!!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X