Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maternity care in the US for Mexican citizens while waiting for US residency.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maternity care in the US for Mexican citizens while waiting for US residency.

I am a US citizen but my wife is a Mexican citizen, she does a have a valid visitors Visa to come to the US. We just found out she is pregnant. My question is how can i get my wife US maternity care while we are waiting for her US residency to be granted?

There are three ways your wife can obtain maternity care:

1. Have her remain in Mexico and obtain needed medical care there.
    2. If she comes to U.S., be prepared to pay $10,000 - $20,000, U.S., for routine maternity and birth care.
    3. Or in U.S., have her enter a public hospital as an emergency case, but prepare to be treated as a charity case unless you can provide proof of being able to pay the required expenses.

While it is not likely that your wife will have the same experience as the woman in Mexico who was rejected by a Mexican hospital two years ago and delivered her baby on the front of that hospital, it is possible that your wife will be transferrred to a poorer quality medical facility if it appears that she lacks insurance or proof of available cash to pay the hospital bills.

--Ray B

Originally posted by Impaler1390 View Post
    I am a US citizen but my wife is a Mexican citizen, she does a have a valid visitors Visa to come to the US. We just found out she is pregnant. My question is how can i get my wife US maternity care while we are waiting for her US residency to be granted?

Comment

Is it possible for her to be put on your insurance?

Our area has a public maternity clinic that charges on a sliding scale based on income. Hospitals will deliver the baby, but you?ll get a bill after.
      Adjustment of Status c(9) 400 days
      Married: 8/18/17
      Package Sent: 10/16/17 ~~ Received (PD): 10/19/17
      I-485 Status - "Biometrics Fee Received": 10/28/17
      Biometric Appointment (11/16/17) Received: 11/3/17 Done: 11/9/17
      EAD/AP Approved: 1/4/18 (Day 77) Notices & Card Received: 1/11/18
      EAD/AP Renewal Received: 10/4/18
      Interview Notice & EAD/AP Renewal Receipts Received: 10/9/18 (Day 355)
      Interview date: 11/13/18 ~ New Card Being Produced (Day 390)
      Card in hand! 11/23/18 (Day 400)

Comment

Most insurance providers will require an SSN of a policy addition. That is even a common problem with applicants who arrived on a K1 visa, but did not get an SSN.

--Ray B

Originally posted by miiki View Post
        Is it possible for her to be put on your insurance?

Our area has a public maternity clinic that charges on a sliding scale based on income. Hospitals will deliver the baby, but you?ll get a bill after.

Comment

Originally posted by rayb View Post
          Most insurance providers will require an SSN of a policy addition. That is even a common problem with applicants who arrived on a K1 visa, but did not get an SSN.

--Ray B
          The IRS says that you don't need an SSN or ITIN to be added to coverage. (https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-...urance-company Q5)

Many H4 spouses and children of H1b workers also don't have SSNs. It would be strange if they cannot be added to the H1b worker's plan.

Comment

Originally posted by angelica View Post
            The IRS says that you don't need an SSN or ITIN to be added to coverage. (https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-...urance-company Q5)

Many H4 spouses and children of H1b workers also don't have SSNs. It would be strange if they cannot be added to the H1b worker's plan.
            Just because the IRS says you don't need it, doesn't mean the Insurance companies or the employers won't ask for one. especially if it's a Health plan was grandfathered in pre ACA implementation.
            This is strictly an opinion and should not be misconstrued as legal advice. The use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

-Krypton9591

Comment

You're right on. I didn't want to debate the point with the last poster, but immigrants I work with routinely have this problem adding a newly-arrived to their health insurance policies.

Originally posted by krypton9591 View Post
              Just because the IRS says you don't need it, doesn't mean the Insurance companies or the employers won't ask for one. especially if it's a Health plan was grandfathered in pre ACA implementation.
              -Ray B

Comment

As a nurse assisting breastfeeding mothers with 'Handsfree Kolven' in a hospital, I'm interested in immigrating to the USA. Can you please guide me through the immigration procedure and the necessary steps I should take to pursue this career opportunity in the United States?
                Last edited by jamescarol; 10-12-2023, 03:52 PM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X