No announcement yet.

Keeping my green card after a divorce.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping my green card after a divorce.

Hi...I'm a British citizen, I have been married to my American husband for nearly 11 years and have lived in Michigan, USA for nearly 11 years. We have a daughter together. However....in two months time or so....as our relationship is not going so well anymore....I want to file for a divorce but I am afraid of losing my green card. I have two children from a previous relationship back in England who are also with me, they came on a K-2 Visa as mine was a K-1 fiancee visa.

Do I really need to worry? I don't want to become an American citizen and just stay British.

I'm pretty sure, what you have is the 10 years GC. If that is the case. I pretty sure you are good. Except if he claims that you married him to get a GC which I doubt it, since the both of you have a child together.

Comment

Originally posted by jayleno View Post
      I'm pretty sure, what you have is the 10 years GC. If that is the case. I pretty sure you are good. Except if he claims that you married him to get a GC which I doubt it, since the both of you have a child together.
      Yes I have a 10 year Green card.

Comment

Divorce and would like to end sponsorship

Hello.

No more than I got my wife her green card, she asked for a divorce. We have been married for about five years previously.

I finally filed for divorce this past summer, about seven months after she demanded it.

I would like to know, if I can end my sponsorship for her. I asked her initially, when she started working here in the USA, to help support the household, and to pay back her immigration fees. She adamantly refused to do so. Hence, I am now facing personal insolvency legal action. If I file bankruptcy, in conjunction with the divorce, can I end my sponsorship of her?

Thanks.

Comment

Domestic Support Obligations are generally not dischargeable in bankruptcy

If you want to end your immigration related support, encourage her to become a US citizen

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X