Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Foreign Trained Physician wanting to practice in the USA (US Citizen)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foreign Trained Physician wanting to practice in the USA (US Citizen)

Hi All.

Any good resources here on foreign medical practitioner (UK medical school) wanting to practice in the USA?

no visa is needed (US citizen) but i wonder if the path is straight forward? Anyone had any experience?

You can apply for fellowship and then practice in an academic place for 5 years till you get full license. Otherwise you will have to your training all over again

Comment

My relative doing it right now

My relative passed all the necessary exams and doing interviews for residency in the USA.

Comment

Contact the State Medical Board of the State in which you wish to practice. They will be able to guide you through the process.

As an example, I found this information for NY: http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/med/medlic.htm Look at key words such as "Foreign Educated", "Education Requirements", "Licensing Requirements", etc.

(Non-accredited will mean not accredited in the US)

"Graduates of Non-accredited Medical Programs
        Satisfactory completion of the following:

A curriculum of not less than 32 months (4 academic years) in a medical program recognized as an acceptable educational program for physicians by the appropriate civil authorities of the country in which the school is located and receipt of the degree of Doctor of Medicine, Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine, or the equivalent as determined by the Department. You must complete the final year of medical education at the school that awarded you the degree.

A satisfactory proficiency examination. Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG)* certification will satisfy this requirement."

This* could perhaps be your starting point:

Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates
        Last edited by NettieL; 11-09-2017, 07:26 AM.
        Not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by NettieL View Post
          Contact the State Medical Board of the State in which you wish to practice. They will be able to guide you through the process.

As an example, I found this information for NY: http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/med/medlic.htm Look at key words such as "Foreign Educated", "Education Requirements", "Licensing Requirements", etc.

(Non-accredited will mean not accredited in the US)

"Graduates of Non-accredited Medical Programs
          Satisfactory completion of the following:

A curriculum of not less than 32 months (4 academic years) in a medical program recognized as an acceptable educational program for physicians by the appropriate civil authorities of the country in which the school is located and receipt of the degree of Doctor of Medicine, Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine, or the equivalent as determined by the Department. You must complete the final year of medical education at the school that awarded you the degree.

A satisfactory proficiency examination. Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG)* certification will satisfy this requirement."

This* could perhaps be your starting point:

https://www.ecfmg.org/
          Thanks all for the guidance and replies!

Comment

In USA, I am not sure that he will get any opportunity or not but I will suggest you to visit AUS. You will get a lot of opportunities to do practice in any clinic. I also moved from USA to AUS to do practice in osteopathy clinic. After completing practice, I came back to USA.

Comment

Originally posted by smithshawn View Post
              In USA, I am not sure that he will get any opportunity or not but I will suggest you to visit AUS. You will get a lot of opportunities to do practice in any clinic. I also moved from USA to AUS to do practice in osteopathy clinic. After completing practice, I came back to USA.
              though once you're back in the USA, how is the job market for you? and you would still have license to practice issue right?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X