Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPT approved, EAD not received, 90 days of unemployment

Hello everyone,

I live in San Jose, California, my OPT was approved on 03/03/2017 and on 03/08/2017 status on USCIS's website changed to "we mailed your new card to address you gave us" from "we ordered your new card". I was waiting for my EAD card for days and days and then, on 03/24/2017 status on USCIS's website for my receipt number changed to "On March 24, 2017, we approved your Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization , receipt number: **** *** ". On 03/27/2017 I received the approval notice from USCIS by mail but there was no clue of EAD. I tried calling USCIS, but no luck and when my status changed on USCIS's website to card has been mailed, there was no tracking number either. So, on April 15th 2017, I placed a service request for duplicate EAD card as I did not receive the first one. On April 17th status on USCIS's website changed to "On April 17, 2017, your request to have your Employment Authorization Document resent to you, referral number SR **** **** **, was completed.". It's 12th May today and I still haven't received my EAD card, neither original nor duplicate. It seems like it might take more time before I receive my EAD card, so my question here is, since I just have the approval notice with me and not the actual EAD card in hand, I know I can't work, so I am unemployed until then, but there's this 90 days unemployment rule while on initial OPT, is this time period counting towards that time frame? Because if yes, then On 03rd June my 90 days of unemployment will complete, do I have to depart the US by 03rd June or this period doesn't count towards that 90days time frame because I haven't received my EAD card yet. I am absolutely stressed about this and no one seems to help, neither USCIS nor my school. Any help would really appreciated. Thanks!

Any advice regarding maintaining my status will be helpful.

Same Case

Originally posted by bhaveshsharma View Post
    Hello everyone,

I live in San Jose, California, my OPT was approved on 03/03/2017 and on 03/08/2017 status on USCIS's website changed to "we mailed your new card to address you gave us" from "we ordered your new card". I was waiting for my EAD card for days and days and then, on 03/24/2017 status on USCIS's website for my receipt number changed to "On March 24, 2017, we approved your Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization , receipt number: **** *** ". On 03/27/2017 I received the approval notice from USCIS by mail but there was no clue of EAD. I tried calling USCIS, but no luck and when my status changed on USCIS's website to card has been mailed, there was no tracking number either. So, on April 15th 2017, I placed a service request for duplicate EAD card as I did not receive the first one. On April 17th status on USCIS's website changed to "On April 17, 2017, your request to have your Employment Authorization Document resent to you, referral number SR **** **** **, was completed.". It's 12th May today and I still haven't received my EAD card, neither original nor duplicate. It seems like it might take more time before I receive my EAD card, so my question here is, since I just have the approval notice with me and not the actual EAD card in hand, I know I can't work, so I am unemployed until then, but there's this 90 days unemployment rule while on initial OPT, is this time period counting towards that time frame? Because if yes, then On 03rd June my 90 days of unemployment will complete, do I have to depart the US by 03rd June or this period doesn't count towards that 90days time frame because I haven't received my EAD card yet. I am absolutely stressed about this and no one seems to help, neither USCIS nor my school. Any help would really appreciated. Thanks!

Hello Bhavesh,

I have same case, my 90 days will over soon and yet i didn't recive my EAD card.
    You get your EAD card?

Comment

well if its approved u can show to the employer and get ur job ready and it should be fine do not worry about it much extension time they ask u about the future employer and details make sure u should have the job ready at that time without any gap.
      Not a Legal Advice, Just a suggestion

Comment

Originally posted by bhaveshsharma View Post
        Hello everyone,

Did you get your card yet?

Comment

EAD returned, 90 days of unemployment

Originally posted by pjaiswal29013 View Post
          Did you get your card yet?
          Is there any update on this situation? can anyone in this situation last year say what happened and if time to return EAD was counted in the 90 days of unemployment? Will greatly appreciate any help I can get.

Comment

Originally posted by upanda View Post
            Is there any update on this situation? can anyone in this situation last year say what happened and if time to return EAD was counted in the 90 days of unemployment? Will greatly appreciate any help I can get.
            This happened to me last year, I applied around June 3. I graduated in June 12th. Applied for the start date to be August 15 -
            got my card in Sep 28 something. My start date was August 15, so basically after the 60days grace period (June15-August15th), every single day will count towards your 90 days period.

Comment

Received EAD after over 110 days of unemployment

And it is fine. The congressman's office helped me get my EAD. After I got my EAD, I asked the congressman's office to send a letter to SEVP explaining my situation. They got back to my university and said that I was cleared to work since I followed all the rules and it was not my fault. I started working the week after I received my EAD.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X