X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Won green card 7 years ago, never filled for taxes - don't live in US

Hello,
    Wonder if anyone can help.

I won green card in 2009. Traveled for visit once in 2009 and second time in 2010. Both times for 10-14days only. Have not been to US since. Live in a foreign country, that does not have a treaty with US. My yearly income was for sure bellow $100,000 and came from non US related businesses. Basically I have no ties to US. I have returned my green card last week and want to make sure, that all is in order. What shall I file or where to look for help/answers? Thank you

You have failed to file taxes, possibly even failed to pay taxes. Are you asking if the IRS can do anything to collect from you or penalize you?

It's not "in order" until you file your past year tax and fbar forms, this year's Form 8854, and the statute of limitations run out on all of them
    Last edited by inadmissible; 05-27-2017, 07:18 PM.

Comment

You have been out of status since a year after your last day in the US. (You lost your Green Card status- not a resident alien since about 2011 according to the information you provided.)
      Not legal advice.

Comment

For us tax purposes, someone who acquires tax residence as a permanent resident retains that tax residence until it is formally terminated or affirmatively abandoned

Comment

Tax Residence

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
          For us tax purposes, someone who acquires tax residence as a permanent resident retains that tax residence until it is formally terminated or affirmatively abandoned
          How do you formally terminate or affirmatively abandon tax residence?
          Not legal advice.

Comment

Permanent residency can formally terminated by an immigration judge in proceedings before the immigration court

The alien affirmatively abandon permanent residence by filing Form I-407

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X