Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STEM OPT EAD card mailing delays

Hello all,

I would like to share with all of you my personal experiences with OPT and receiving my EAD cards. First of all, I applied for my 12-month initial OPT in February 2016 and the process went pretty smoothly. I received my EAD card within the regular time frame of 75-90 days. The only thing was that my date on the card was one week earlier than when I received it but that could be explained by shipping, card production, and all that. I had job offers before I received my EAD card so I had to let them know about it and they were very flexible about that. So I can thank them for that.

Now is the trickier part. I applied for my STEM OPT Extension in the beginning of April 2017 which was a little later than the typical 90 days that you want to apply for. But I knew that I would get a "180 days extension" if my application was in before my OPT EAD expired which was in late May 2017. So I have been working with an expired EAD for the past couple months until my application got accepted and received my new EAD card. My STEM OPT was accepted on July 6th but I have only received my EAD on July 21st... Longer than expected and my guess is that it was either misplaced or just delayed in one USPS location. I tracked it on USPS and found out it was shipped July 7th and July 20th was when it was received by my town post office.

You should not worry too much if your i-765 is accepted and you are waiting for your EAD. It will come. They also send the EAD with an insurance of $100.

Originally posted by 12Lapointep View Post
    Hello all,

I would like to share with all of you my personal experiences with OPT and receiving my EAD cards. First of all, I applied for my 12-month initial OPT in February 2016 and the process went pretty smoothly. I received my EAD card within the regular time frame of 75-90 days. The only thing was that my date on the card was one week earlier than when I received it but that could be explained by shipping, card production, and all that. I had job offers before I received my EAD card so I had to let them know about it and they were very flexible about that. So I can thank them for that.

Now is the trickier part. I applied for my STEM OPT Extension in the beginning of April 2017 which was a little later than the typical 90 days that you want to apply for. But I knew that I would get a "180 days extension" if my application was in before my OPT EAD expired which was in late May 2017. So I have been working with an expired EAD for the past couple months until my application got accepted and received my new EAD card. My STEM OPT was accepted on July 6th but I have only received my EAD on July 21st... Longer than expected and my guess is that it was either misplaced or just delayed in one USPS location. I tracked it on USPS and found out it was shipped July 7th and July 20th was when it was received by my town post office.

You should not worry too much if your i-765 is accepted and you are waiting for your EAD. It will come. They also send the EAD with an insurance of $100.
    So, when did you receive the tracking number for your EAD?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X