Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for insurance for Mom - pre-existing kidney/liver disease

Looking for some advice...
    I'm looking for insurance for my mom. She's going to be in the US for 72 days. She's 68 years old.

Some plans include the Acute onset of pre-existing conditions, I was wondering if they would cover her kidney or liver if anything suddenly changes.

She has Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD) and Polycystic Liver Disease (PLD), both organs functioning a little less than normal right now, kidneys maybe at 60% to 70%. She had a surgery to remove some liver cysts around 5 years ago which was successful, and hasn't had any issues since then. She goes for her regular once a year checkup with the doctor in India.

She's not taking any medication for kidneys or liver, these aren't diseases that can be cured using medications. They are genetic diseases which progresses very gradually through life. She will eventually require dialysis, when the cysts in the kidneys are too much for the kidneys to filter the blood normally, but she's nowhere near that stage right now.

She generally has blood pressure, which is usually seen in patients having PKD, and she is taking medication for that.

So my question is, if she has an acute onset, like maybe kidney or liver function deteriorates suddenly, will it be considered an Acute onset of pre-existing condition? What about if something comes up that might be related to blood pressure?

Thanks.

Thank you for your interest in purchasing visitors insurance for your mother.

I recommend that you read https://www.insubuy.com/visitor-insu...ng-conditions/

Beyond that, unfortunately, no one would be able to tell you specific details about your mother in advance. Once the claim occurs, it would be determined on a case by case basis based on the medical records.
    Thanks & Regards
    Insubuy
    Toll Free: (866) INSUBUY
    Local: (972) 985-4400
    Fax: (972) 767-4470

Comment

Thanks for the information. I had already seen that page.

On another note, what is generally considered a good Policy Maximum to have?

Comment

Just bought the Atlas America plan and the document states:

"Coverage for acute onset of a pre-existing condition is excluded when the pre-existing condition is a congenital or chronic condition."

So basically any chronic condition like blood pressure is excluded.

Why would you not mention this on the website before the purchase is made? What's the point of me going for a plan that covers acute onset of preexisting condition? Name me one preexisting condition that will still be covered by the statement - "excluded when the pre-existing condition is a congenital or chronic condition".

I feel that by not mentioning this statement on your website before the purchase, you are making a fool of all customers who want to take advantage of this plan.

Comment

It is already mentioned numerous times on our web site BEFORE you make the purchase.

1. The same certificate wording you got after the purchase is available clearly on insubuy.com before you purchase.
          2. Just when you got the quotes for all the plans, next to Atlas America plan, there is a link in red color that describes clearly what acute onset is and is not. It is taken from that same certificate wording so that you can notice it very easily.
          3. Most importantly, when I recommended that you read https://www.insubuy.com/visitor-insu...ng-conditions/, you said that you have already gone through that page. That statement is clearly written there too. That is a prima facie evidence that you knew in advance what exactly it is.

Please note that Insubuy works in the best interest of the customers and puts forward the maximum possible information upfront so that you can make an informed decision. No documents or information is hidden from you. Everything is available upfront before purchase. No one in the industry provides as much comprehensive information about visitors insurance as insubuy.com Moreover, our licensed agents are available 7 days a week if you have any questions or need any clarification.

By the way, almost all the plans that offer 'acute onset of pre-existing conditions' coverage have similar wording because they all copied it from 'Atlas America' plan that first came up with this benefit in 2011.

My personal example: My mother-in-law had blood pressure and she had purchased Atlas plan. She got heart attack all of sudden. It was covered under 'Acute Onset of Pre-Existing Conditions' in the same plan. (Of course, don't assume that all cases are the same. It depends upon the exact circumstances and medical records.)

If you still feel that you bought something you don't want, you can cancel it. You can look at the refund rule for https://www.insubuy.com/cancellation...ica-insurance/

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us at any time.
          Thanks & Regards
          Insubuy

Comment

Ok Thanks. It is mentioned on the link that you gave me yesterday. I guess I missed that part, maybe because it's not highlighted on the website as it is on the document with a big exclamation icon next to it.
            As a suggestion for future, maybe you should have this attached screenshot on your website, maybe one for each insurance plan, I'm sure it'll help users decide. Maybe it should be included in the Sample ID and visa letter link.

On your suggestion, I'm going to keep the insurance and hope for the best.

Comment

We have already highlighted that line in 'red/orange color' in Plan Details next to each plan. Look at https://www.insubuy.com/visitor-insurance/
              We always had that. That is the same thing you see when you quote different products.

While your suggestion is valuable, different things are important to different customers. We get a wide variety of customers.

If we highlight too many things, it is defeats the purpose of highlighting and it becomes too confusing to everyone. (For someone, mental issue was important and he wanted us to highlight that. Someone asked about sports coverage. Some asked about UTI, someone else for cancer, someone else for skin and so on.)

But in any case, what you asked us to highlight is already highlighted clearly. Also, we also have another link called 'Outstanding Restrictions' under 'Plan Details' for each plan where we list such important things.

Rest assured, we already are doing everything we can to educate the customers. At the same time, the customers should also take a little responsibility to educate themselves. They should spend some time reading about the policy they are purchasing when all the information is in front of them before purchasing.

Also, in case of any doubt, you can always call us. We are open 7 days a week.
              Thanks & Regards
              Insubuy

Comment

By the way, did you purchase the insurance from Insubuy?

I don't see any confirmations with your email address.

Could you please provide me your certificate number via private message?
                Thanks & Regards
                Insubuy

Comment

By the way, did you purchase the insurance from Insubuy?
                  Yes

I don't see any confirmations with your email address.
                  How do you know what my email address is? I never gave you my email address. And I don't think it's public on this forum.

Could you please provide me your certificate number via private message?
                  I'm not sure why you need that. Are you just trying to verify that I purchased the insurance?

Comment

1. You had to provide an email address at the time of registration.
                    2. I am just trying to figure out if you purchased through Insubuy. We, as a broker, provide service to our customers, and get paid only if people buy through us.
                    Thanks & Regards
                    Insubuy

Comment

Thank you for identifying that you are Insubuy customer.
                      Thanks & Regards
                      Insubuy

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                      X