Passed the Naturalization Interview, but was asked for 2 photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passed the Naturalization Interview, but was asked for 2 photos

I and my wife just separately passed the interview in NY. As for my case, everything was easy, except the officer asked her questions in low voice and in high speed, so I have to re-ask few times.
    6 questions only were asked from the 100 questions, so I guess I answered all 6 correctly. I was also bit concerned about my 2 speeding tickets which I hadn't mentioned in the N-400, so according to the recommendations from multiple forums I was ready to inform about them during the interview. I even passed the defensive driving lessons to look better, but when she read the question, she read it partially, like "have you ever been arrested?" - I answered NO, as clearly even with the speeding tickets the true answer is NO. If she asked it fully "Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained" then I would answer "yes" and mention the speeding ticket. Anyway, I know there are lot of people, who see a trouble everywhere, and they would say that I had to mention the speeding tickets, otherwise I would be departed. So what can I say, the fact is if I listed these people I would NEVER enter the USA, not to mention the green card or the citizenship.

OK, back to the interview. All was fine, I started to sign the final papers, and then suddenly she asked "hmm, and where are your photos?". -
    "Photos???? "
    "Yes, 2 passport size photos you supposed to send with your application".

I was really surprised, I remembered that I read http://citizenshipnews.us/n/499/N-40...hotos-any-more that no photos were necessary any more. So, I asked her, why I need photos, as they were taken during the finger-print interview. She said that in case the system is down, they need photos. I didn't get, if she mean the system might be down during the ceremony, or because the system was down at that moment (the system in fact was down when I and my wife arrived for the interview), so I decided not to argue or re-ask why, as she told me just to go across the street, take 2 photos and bring them back. I went out to take photos, and started calling my wife, which also was passing the interview in parallel. As she was invited 10 minutes before me, I was sure that she had passed already, and were taking photos. I was much surprised that she wasn't asked for any photos, she had passed and was heading to her office already.

So, looks it is feature a particular officer of NY office to ask for the photos. I believe it was related to fact that their system was down, and might be they expected it might be down during the ceremony.
    I suggest, if you have 2 spare passport size photos, just take them with you to the interview - I took multiple different papers, including IRS transcripts, nothing was actually needed, but photos... Who knows?
    Do not send them with N-400, just take to the interview "in case".

Originally posted by argentum View Post
    I and my wife just separately passed the interview in NY. As for my case, everything was easy, except the officer asked her questions in low voice and in high speed, so I have to re-ask few times.
    6 questions only were asked from the 100 questions, so I guess I answered all 6 correctly. I was also bit concerned about my 2 speeding tickets which I hadn't mentioned in the N-400, so according to the recommendations from multiple forums I was ready to inform about them during the interview. I even passed the defensive driving lessons to look better, but when she read the question, she read it partially, like "have you ever been arrested?" - I answered NO, as clearly even with the speeding tickets the true answer is NO. If she asked it fully "Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained" then I would answer "yes" and mention the speeding ticket. Anyway, I know there are lot of people, who see a trouble everywhere, and they would say that I had to mention the speeding tickets, otherwise I would be departed. So what can I say, the fact is if I listed these people I would NEVER enter the USA, not to mention the green card or the citizenship.

OK, back to the interview. All was fine, I started to sign the final papers, and then suddenly she asked "hmm, and where are your photos?". -
    "Photos???? "
    "Yes, 2 passport size photos you supposed to send with your application".

I was really surprised, I remembered that I read http://citizenshipnews.us/n/499/N-40...hotos-any-more that no photos were necessary any more. So, I asked her, why I need photos, as they were taken during the finger-print interview. She said that in case the system is down, they need photos. I didn't get, if she mean the system might be down during the ceremony, or because the system was down at that moment (the system in fact was down when I and my wife arrived for the interview), so I decided not to argue or re-ask why, as she told me just to go across the street, take 2 photos and bring them back. I went out to take photos, and started calling my wife, which also was passing the interview in parallel. As she was invited 10 minutes before me, I was sure that she had passed already, and were taking photos. I was much surprised that she wasn't asked for any photos, she had passed and was heading to her office already.

So, looks it is feature a particular officer of NY office to ask for the photos. I believe it was related to fact that their system was down, and might be they expected it might be down during the ceremony.
    I suggest, if you have 2 spare passport size photos, just take them with you to the interview - I took multiple different papers, including IRS transcripts, nothing was actually needed, but photos... Who knows?
    Do not send them with N-400, just take to the interview "in case".
    Curious if you have had any delays after the interview? I had similar experience as above and have been waiting for 1 month while my wife got her oath notice already. We were both told to expect to hear back within 2 weeks. I also pm'd you.

Comment

I always tell my students to send pictures in with the application or bring photos with them (get them taken at Costco, passport style) just in case.

You don't want any arguments or disagreements with the immigration officers.
      Also, the passport photos are not expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by suziq38 View Post
        I always tell my students to send pictures in with the application or bring photos with them (get them taken at Costco, passport style) just in case.

You don't want any arguments or disagreements with the immigration officers.
        Also, the passport photos are not expensive.
        When I sent my N400 the application form it states there that those who are outside the country should send pictures so I did not send any photos because I am in the United States but when I had my interview on Oct. 23 the IO asked me if I brought pictures with me which I did not. The IO was very kind. She told me to just bring it with me at the ceremony. But I decided to just drop it at the Field Office instead of having to bring it at the ceremony. The IO told me that the pictures will used for my file. Do you think the other picture will be on my certificate? My ceremony is on Tuesday, Nov. 28. Can somebody who had recently took their Oath advise me if I need to sign the N 445 in front of the IO at the ceremony ?
        Last edited by Elderly; 11-24-2017, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Signing the photos

Hi! I know that this is an old thread but I?m just curious how long did it take you to get oath ceremony after you?ve turned in your photos. And did you remember having to sign those pics on the side ? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Goodvibesonly View Post
            Hi! I know that this is an old thread but I?m just curious how long did it take you to get oath ceremony after you?ve turned in your photos. And did you remember having to sign those pics on the side ? Thanks
            I'm still waiting for my oath appt, but I just sent in my pics yesterday. Yes, I did have to sign them on the side!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X