Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1-B visa extension or renewal

Hello Friends,

I work in bay area for product company and a with this company for last 7 years (4.5 in India and 2.5 in US).

- My L1-B blanket 3 year term I-129S is expiring in March 2018.
    - Am getting married in Nov 2017. Would like to bring in spouse.

1) Should i go for extension with in US or renewal by going abroad (India or Canada) ?
    2) Am getting If renewal, should i go for renewal for myself first and L2 separately or together?

Please share your extension experiences in US and renewal experiences at canada and India.

Originally posted by rukepedia View Post
    Hello Friends,

I work in bay area for product company and a with this company for last 7 years (4.5 in India and 2.5 in US).

1) Should i go for extension with in US or renewal by going abroad (India or Canada) ?
    2) Am getting If renewal, should i go for renewal for myself first and L2 separately or together?

Please share your extension experiences in US and renewal experiences at canada and India.
    Are you planning to attend L1 visa interview post extension approval, if done while in US?

Comment

Originally posted by raghvi View Post
      Are you planning to attend L1 visa interview post extension approval, if done while in US?
      Hello Raghvi,

Yes, if going for extension while in US, i will go to consulate for stamping while i go to India or else Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by rukepedia View Post
        Hello Friends,

Hi,

I renewed my L1 visa in Canada. It is faster than US processing. After filling the Ds-160 and having all the paperwork, you just need to schedule your interview. I have friends that did it in Calgary, others in Ottawa and others in Toronto. During summer, Canada limits the number of non-Canadian citizens but on fall and winter it has plenty slots...you can even schedule your interview in less than 5 days. You will do your interview and, if approved, they will retain your passport for 5 working days. You will get it in the postal office (you must choose one before scheduling the interview) and then you can travel back.

Canada Risks: if your visa is not approved...how do you return to US? Never heard about it but this is a real risk. I was not worried as I had B1/B2 valid so I could be back to solve any pending issues.
        Going to your home country: Same risk but you are at home!!
        US risks: similar but you will have grace period...main issue in US is that the process takes MUCH longer than just 2 weeks. Lower costs and no travel costs.

There is no difference if you renew your or ask for you and family. If you are doing it at a Consulate, they will process all at the same time.

Comment

Request for more information

Originally posted by sasvi View Post
          Hi,

I renewed my L1 visa in Canada. It is faster than US processing. After filling the Ds-160 and having all the paperwork, you just need to schedule your interview. I have friends that did it in Calgary, others in Ottawa and others in Toronto. During summer, Canada limits the number of non-Canadian citizens but on fall and winter it has plenty slots...you can even schedule your interview in less than 5 days. You will do your interview and, if approved, they will retain your passport for 5 working days. You will get it in the postal office (you must choose one before scheduling the interview) and then you can travel back.

Canada Risks: if your visa is not approved...how do you return to US? Never heard about it but this is a real risk. I was not worried as I had B1/B2 valid so I could be back to solve any pending issues.
          Going to your home country: Same risk but you are at home!!
          US risks: similar but you will have grace period...main issue in US is that the process takes MUCH longer than just 2 weeks. Lower costs and no travel costs.

There is no difference if you renew your or ask for you and family. If you are doing it at a Consulate, they will process all at the same time.
          Sasvi thanks for sharing these details. I am in the same situation... my L1 visa is expiring in DEC and I want to get it renewed in Canada. I am planning to travel in month of October. I have following questions..
          - Can you share details on the interview? did they ask questions like why you are not renewing in India?
          - Is hoping to get an October appointment realistic now? As of today first available appointment is in late nov in ottawa.
          - IS booking whatever is available and the rescheduling a good idea? can it work against my case?
          - Any tips.

Thanks

Comment

L1B Extension

My I94 expires in August 2018. I know I can renew my L1b visa 6 months prior to the expiry and I am looking to visit the Ottawa center. Is there a risk of getting rejected if I apply for an extension 6 months early to the expiry?

Comment

Originally posted by ad23 View Post
              My I94 expires in August 2018. I know I can renew my L1b visa 6 months prior to the expiry and I am looking to visit the Ottawa center. Is there a risk of getting rejected if I apply for an extension 6 months early to the expiry?
              Open a new thread.
              - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X