I-751 Processing Time???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by newuser1980 View Post
    Thank you for the info. I think you got the dates wrong this we are still in April, and my 1 year extension expires in May 15, which still a month away.

I was able to make an Infopass appt at my local office for my wife for May 1 to get that stamp on her passport. I just realized that this May 15 it will 3 years since she had her green card and we can apply for citizenship. I was under the impression all this time that it was only 2 years come this May 2018. But in fact we got her green card back in May 2015 which was good for 2 years and then the extension which is now almost 2 years.

I will follow your advice and start her citizenship application in the next few days. Do you suggest we do the online version or print out the form and mail? Any advantage to doing one or the other?
    I apologize for creating confusion when I'd said "May 15th, 2018 is tomorrow for all purposes". I meant "May 15th may as well be tomorrow". Sorry! - She's been eligible to file early since February 15th, 2018. That is exactly 90 days. https://www.timeanddate.com/date/dur...&y2=2018&ti=on

I became a citizen before online filing became an option BUT I would recommend doing it online because you will get to submit everything online. Thus, you will bypass the mailroom and the initial processing stages; which are handled by non-USCIS contractors. They are not highly skilled personnel. Turn over is high. You know how it goes from there.

In addition, the application has a tracker which seems to be accurate. If there is letter coming to you by mail, it will also be scanned and you will see it right there on your account. You will be able to read it. WHAT A CONCEPT??? It's not hard. Their system is just ancient.

You also get to pay online and your priority date is the date your payment is made.

Nice job on the infopass appointment. By the way, if the names on her green card and passport do no match, make sure to bring with you the document that "reconciles" that. If it's the marriage certificate that shows the name change, then bring that with you. The ISO's time is limited and may not be willing to go back and pull your file to verify that. They will just tell you to come back with that. Just have anything you think they may ask for.

Please keep the forum posted. We'd all be very interested to see how soon your filing of the N-400, prompts the I-751 to be adjudicated.

***By the way, USCIS' N-400 adjudication goal is 120 days.***

All the best.
    Last edited by UScitizenFilingforspouse; 04-21-2018, 03:35 PM. Reason: *Added adjudication goal

Comment

At time we got interviewed and approved for her green card we had the person put in the name change at that time so that when her green card was issued it would indicate her last name as mine. So we had her maiden name become her middle name now and my last name is her last name now. That is how is shown on her green card now and all the paperwork that we received afterwards it indicates her last name as mine. Her passport is still using her maiden name. On our marriage certificate it does indicate on the bottom the name format that she has on her green card. So I guess we should bring that with us as well in case there is any issue at the Infopass appointment.

Also we recently had a child. Should we take a copy of the birth certificate with us at the appointment to have them include it in our file as well to make the case even stronger (even though we did sent quite a few evidence with our package). But I heard having a child during this time of waiting can really help the case. Is that true?

Originally posted by UScitizenFilingforspouse View Post
      I apologize for creating confusion when I'd said "May 15th, 2018 is tomorrow for all purposes". I meant "May 15th may as well be tomorrow". Sorry! - She's been eligible to file early since February 15th, 2018. That is exactly 90 days. https://www.timeanddate.com/date/dur...&y2=2018&ti=on

I became a citizen before online filing became an option BUT I would recommend doing it online because you will get to submit everything online. Thus, you will bypass the mailroom and the initial processing stages; which are handled by non-USCIS contractors. They are not highly skilled personnel. Turn over is high. You know how it goes from there.

In addition, the application has a tracker which seems to be accurate. If there is letter coming to you by mail, it will also be scanned and you will see it right there on your account. You will be able to read it. WHAT A CONCEPT??? It's not hard. Their system is just ancient.

You also get to pay online and your priority date is the date your payment is made.

Nice job on the infopass appointment. By the way, if the names on her green card and passport do no match, make sure to bring with you the document that "reconciles" that. If it's the marriage certificate that shows the name change, then bring that with you. The ISO's time is limited and may not be willing to go back and pull your file to verify that. They will just tell you to come back with that. Just have anything you think they may ask for.

Please keep the forum posted. We'd all be very interested to see how soon your filing of the N-400, prompts the I-751 to be adjudicated.

***By the way, USCIS' N-400 adjudication goal is 120 days.***

All the best.

Comment

At time we got interviewed and approved for her green card we had the person put in the name change at that time so that when her green card was issued it would indicate her last name as mine. So we had her maiden name become her middle name now and my last name is her last name now. That is how is shown on her green card now and all the paperwork that we received afterwards it indicates her last name as mine. Her passport is still using her maiden name. On our marriage certificate it does indicate on the bottom the name format that she has on her green card. So I guess we should bring that with us as well in case there is any issue at the Infopass appointment.

Also we recently had a child. Should we take a copy of the birth certificate with us at the appointment to have them include it in our file as well to make the case even stronger (even though we did sent quite a few evidence with our package). But I heard having a child during this time of waiting can really help the case. Is that true?
        I apologize it took me a bit to circle back to you.
        For the infopass appointment, I would bring:
        1. Green card.
        2. Extension letters
        3. Passport
        4. Marriage certificate - shows maiden name = middle name; same as green card.

Congratulations on your child! Blessings! I would definitely bring a copy of the birth certificate. I like color copies for such documents. I would even throw in a few pictures. 2 to 4 max.

All the best.

Comment

my I751 just got to Vermont center today...will keep you update on my timeline

Comment

I apologize it took me a bit to circle back to you.
            For the infopass appointment, I would bring:
            1. Green card.
            2. Extension letters
            3. Passport
            4. Marriage certificate - shows maiden name = middle name; same as green card.

Congratulations on your child! Blessings! I would definitely bring a copy of the birth certificate. I like color copies for such documents. I would even throw in a few pictures. 2 to 4 max.

All the best.
            One quick question. My wife had to renew and get a new passport during this time of waiting for our I-751 to approve. With the I-751 package we sent copy of her old passport ( which was current at that time, but expired after the I-751 package was sent). Should we make a copy of the first page of the new passport and submit at time of Infopass or at this stage in the I-751 process that is that much of a concern? We just need to have her passport with us at Infopass to get that stamp since we want to travel out of the country in June and the stamp would be the only proof of getting back in the US..is that correct?

Thanks for mentioning pictures. I will sure to include those as well.
            Last edited by newuser1980; 04-25-2018, 02:33 AM.

Comment

One quick question. My wife had to renew and get a new passport during this time of waiting for our I-751 to approve. With the I-751 package we sent copy of her old passport ( which was current at that time, but expired after the I-751 package was sent). Should we make a copy of the first page of the new passport and submit at time of Infopass or at this stage in the I-751 process that is that much of a concern? We just need to have her passport with us at Infopass to get that stamp since we want to travel out of the country in June and the stamp would be the only proof of getting back in the US..is that correct?

Thanks for mentioning pictures. I will sure to include those as well.
              If I am understanding correctly, you are concerned that you might get a RFE because that passport is now expired. Bringing a copy of the biographical page of the new passport makes sense to me. I would advise you to proceed with caution, since you are now attempting to introduce three additional evidence items into your
              I-751 file. I would definitely craft a cover letter that lists the 3 items that you are submitting: birth certificate, child's pictures, and the biographical page of her new passport. Two hole puncher, folder, ACCO fasteners - you know the drill. Please do not forget to write the A# and date of birth on every page you submit. Just in case, the ISO does not return to his/her office right away and he/she keeps collecting documents from several people.

I would advise that you use your judgment and feel out the situation. Your #1 mission is to get that I-551 stamp. I would start with that. The rest is an added bonus. Be prepared for the ISO to politely decline to accept the evidence as the window to submit evidence has passed. And it has. If the ISO says that, just go with that. I doubt it, though. It's just good to be prepared for any possible outcome.

The I-551 stamp becomes your wife's new green card for 1 year. Once she gets the green card she won't need to have the passport with her. Legal permanent residents only need their green cards to enter the US. Passports are encouraged but not required.

Let me know how it goes! All the best!

Comment

Several things:
                1. You are already eligible for citizenship. Please do not delay filing your N-400 Application for Naturalization because your I-751 is pending. In most cases, filing the N-400 will prompt the I-751 to be adjudicated. It pretty much speeds up the process, and the
                I-751 and N-400 are approved within days.

2. May 15, 2018 is tomorrow, for all purposes. You won't lose your conditional permanent resident status, though. At this point, it would be best to make an InfoPass appointment and request a I-551 stamp on your passport. That one is good for one year.

3. Here's the link to infopass https://my.uscis.gov/appointment For this, you can go to ANY field office. If yours does not have appointments, it's ok to make an appointment in M***aukee, WI if your field office is Minneapolis, MN. It's a drive, but you'll get your stamp.

4. If driving to another location is not possible, then you can use two google extensions to help you secure a slot. Visual ping and Super Auto Refresh. Google this sentence in quotation marks "How to get an appointment on infopass". It will be the first result. That thread on v1s@ j0urney will walk you through setting up the two google extensions.

5. No walk-ins.

6. To check the status of your I-751, you will need your receipt number located on your I-797 Notice of action. If you no longer have it, then you can call the national customer service center and they will verify your identity and provide you with the receipt number. You can also talk to Emma, and then get transferred to a virtual agent and get your receipts.

7. With that receipt number, you can open an account on these two sites https://egov.uscis.gov and my.uscis.gov The second one gives more detailed updates. They're hit or miss. For some people, both work great. Mine don't really update.

All the best.
                Not everyone wants, or plans to become a full citizen. Permanent residency is the end goal for many. Advising someone to submit an N-400 as a strategy for the timely processing of their 751 is imprudent.

Comment

Originally posted by alienrayray View Post
                  Not everyone wants, or plans to become a full citizen. Permanent residency is the end goal for many. Advising someone to submit an N-400 as a strategy for the timely processing of their 751 is imprudent.
                  Excuse me, Alienrayray, that's what you understood from this statement? "You are already eligible for citizenship. Please do not delay filing your N-400 Application for Naturalization because your I-751 is pending. In most cases, filing the N-400 will prompt the I-751 to be adjudicated. It pretty much speeds up the process, and the I-751 and N-400 are approved within days."

No one else in this forum understood my words the way you did. It is both amusing and concerning that according to you, I was "Advising someone to submit an N-400 as a strategy for the timely processing of their 751".

Carry on. All the best.

Comment

Excuse me, Alienrayray, that's what you understood from this statement? "You are already eligible for citizenship. Please do not delay filing your N-400 Application for Naturalization because your I-751 is pending. In most cases, filing the N-400 will prompt the I-751 to be adjudicated. It pretty much speeds up the process, and the I-751 and N-400 are approved within days."

No one else in this forum understood my words the way you did. It is both amusing and concerning that according to you, I was "Advising someone to submit an N-400 as a strategy for the timely processing of their 751".

Carry on. All the best.
                    Except the person you stated that to never said they were planning to apply for naturalization at any point. They were ONLY asking about the 751.

Comment

Originally posted by alienrayray View Post
                      Except the person you stated that to never said they were planning to apply for naturalization at any point. They were ONLY asking about the 751.
                      Part of being helpful includes answering questions with all options available to that person/situation. I do not see why you have an issue with that. The person even thought that was a good idea. Just like when I mentioned to bring pictures to the Infopass appointment. I was thanked for that. Again, whatever issue you may have - that's your issue. I will continue to be of assistance in any way that I am able to.

All the best.
                      Last edited by UScitizenFilingforspouse; 04-30-2018, 11:03 AM.

Comment

I-751 no response from USCIS

Hi my wife's green-card is going to expire on July 20th, sent I-751 with all documents on May 23rd via USPS priority mail to Vermont, they received it on Friday May 25th, as of today June 7th no response at all neither they have chased the check yet. My wife is getting paranoid if anything is wrong or we may need to apply again.

Is there way to find out what is going on, would we receive notice for extension, and any idea when? We applied with all documentations possible, the only glitch I can think of address on check is different then current address ( we did not updated check's address since we moved last year).

Any advice/guidance would be very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by VA45 View Post
                          Hi my wife's green-card is going to expire on July 20th, sent I-751 with all documents on May 23rd via USPS priority mail to Vermont, they received it on Friday May 25th, as of today June 7th no response at all neither they have chased the check yet. My wife is getting paranoid if anything is wrong or we may need to apply again.

Is there way to find out what is going on, would we receive notice for extension, and any idea when? We applied with all documentations possible, the only glitch I can think of address on check is different then current address ( we did not updated check's address since we moved last year).

Hi, I'm in the same situation. My card in expiring July 27th. I sent all the paperwork a month ago and never receive anything back. I called USCIS today and the officer told me all I-751 were on hold and were not being processed. She said that I should wait until July and if I still haven't received a letter then, to make an appointment at an office near me. It's probably the same situation for you. You should call USCIS and speak to an officer directly to confirm though.

Comment

Originally posted by VA45 View Post

There are several things you can do here:
                            1. Make sure USCIS has the correct address for you both.
                            2. You can call, and ask to speak to a Level 2 officer to help you track your case. Get receipt number for your case. If the officer gives you receipt number, then with that you can add that file to your online account. Then, make an infopass appointment and run to the Field office, and get a I-551 stamp.
                            3. You could also email the Vermont Service Center directly. Do this even if you talk to a Level 2 officer.
                            [email protected]

Your wife will eventually get a letter extending her green card. Not having the letter does not terminate her permanent resident status. Her employer should know that. It's just nice to have the stamp on your passport.

Comment

not trying to jack this thread but i am worried. i applied for my wife to adjust status on 8/19/16 and on 5/8/18 they transfer the case to lees summitt in KC missouri. Weird that they xfer the case to a different state, original csc (california and then dallas and now lee summit missouri. i live in texas. i called customer service and do an infopass at dallas and they can't help me. any other options for me. I still can't believe it's almost 2 yrs now that my wife hasn't received her 10 yr green card and every year we have to get her passport stamped to renew her residency.

thanks all.

Comment

Originally posted by Theoyen View Post
                                not trying to jack this thread but i am worried. i applied for my wife to adjust status on 8/19/16 and on 5/8/18 they transfer the case to lees summitt in KC missouri. Weird that they xfer the case to a different state, original csc (california and then dallas and now lee summit missouri. i live in texas. i called customer service and do an infopass at dallas and they can't help me. any other options for me. I still can't believe it's almost 2 yrs now that my wife hasn't received her 10 yr green card and every year we have to get her passport stamped to renew her residency.

thanks all.
                                oh man that is a long time...I really hope Vermont will be faster i have my hopes to get mine before January...i guess one can only dream.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X