Disclaimer: We take no responsibility for accuracy of information provided. Please use at your own risk. Do not post anything you don't want publicly visible.

Track greencard/visa apps
Immihelp Tracker
Help Others
Share Experiences
Instant Quotes & Purchase
Visitor Medical Insurance
Travel Companion
Download Mobile Apps:   iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch App    Android App

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28
  1. #21

    Default Types of divorce valid in India for remarriage

    Could any one please explain as what types of divorces obtained in USA (marriage was in India under hindu marriage act) is VALID in India?

    This is for purpose of remarriage.

    The divorce decree issued in USA is NOT accepted in India registration of remariage.

    Could anyone please provide information about what to do in this case.


  2. #22


    I have married in india to an indian but with a permanent resident card in US five years ago as per hindu marriage act.I accompanied him after 3 months of marriage to US and i delivered a boy there.When our son is about 6 month old he acquired the US citizenship.I went to India for some family reason..then he processed my permanent resident card and came back to US .In about a year i was pregnant for the second time and he force me to deliver the baby in india and he send me to india..after which he sstopped communicating by all means.
    I want to live with him but don't have my visa papers in my hand...What the best can i do?I don't know whether he started any legal proceedings or obtained an ex-parte order against me..
    can anyone help me in this regard
    Last edited by roseelizabeth; 01-30-2012 at 11:46 AM.

  3. #23

    Unhappy Is my US divorce valid in India

    I got my US divorce and child custody in 2009 and after almost 4 years my husband filed a case for divorce in India and is asking for child custody.

    I also got my documents attested by the Indian Embassy.

    what else can i do to legalize my US divorce in India please help!!
    Last edited by sangeeta786; 05-02-2012 at 01:06 PM. Reason: correction

  4. #24

    Default Need help in Divorce case

    My husband emotionally abused me,belittled me eversince I got married . I never told this to my parents who lived in India last october he took my Green card and passport and cell phone and told me to leave the house. It happened so many times he forced me to leave the house while I have nowhere else to go. He never let me drive . Last JAnuary when he came to India for funeral he again harrased me and forced me to leave the house said he won't come back to US if I won't leave the house. I was stay at home mom till then I didn't know anybody there my father had to make tickets for me and kids. MY question is can he get Divorse there while I'm in INdia ,without my sighn,(expart3 decision)
    2) Both my kids are US citizen can he do anything using that as wepon to get them back. Thanks !

  5. #25

    Default US divorce valid in India?

    I am married in India. I want to apply for divorce in US. My husband is in another state of US. We have been living separately for over a yr. I could not get him consent for mutual divorce as he and his family are demanding money from my family that he used for my support before I got into a job. My lawyer in US told that we can get divorced even if he does not attend court here. But, will that be valid in India?

    If not, what are my options of applying in India on basis of irreconcilable differences and how long would it take to get the hearing? From 2012 rules, there is no cooling off period of 6 months. Are there any changes to this recently? I also heard that husband can't deny divorce in India if wife wants to-any changes to this? Can I apply in India while residing in US or should I be present in India while applying?

    Pls suggest.

  6. #26


    Hi All,

    This thread seems to be a life saver!!

    I have same question.. can I get divorce from my wife in United states???

    Raja/Sangeeta- If you can share your email ID that would be great help ?

  7. #27


    Hello Rajaa,

    Can you please let me know your contact, I am in real need of your help


  8. #28

    Exclamation Domestic Abuse - US Citizen applying for divorce from husband in India


    I got married in India almost a year ago. Our marriage is registered in India, but not in the US. I am a Christian, by the way.

    I was an Indian citizen at the time, but now have US citizenship. My husband has Indian citizenship and is still residing in India. After we got married, I stayed with him in India for 5 months.

    During these five months, he physically and emotionally abused me, including hitting me, trying to strangle me, etc which constitute as assault under Domestic Violence laws.

    So, I returned to my parent's house in the US. It has now been almost 7 months that I have been back in the US.

    In addition, he also cheated us by falsely stating that he has an MBA from a university in London. It was only I returned, when we dug deeper into the matter due to suspicions from his changed behavior and examined the copy of his supposed MBA certificate, which he sent us, that we realized it was bogus.

    I want to apply for divorce from the US (New Jersey). I do not know if he will agree to a mutual consent divorce or not (I highly doubt it). My parents and I will be traveling to India to let them know of our decision and discuss this possibility. I plan on filing for divorce when we return.

    If by any chance he does agree to the divorce, how can I negotiate to get back the money my parents gave him and his parents before and after marriage?

    (As is more likely) If I apply on grounds of "extreme cruelty" (i.e. emotional and physical abuse) from the US...Will this work? Will it be valid in India?

    This second issue is the more pressing one that I really need answers for. Please help.

    *Before and after marriage, my parents have given him and his family a lot of money - part of it was used for their wedding expenses (we paid out of pocket for our own), he also wasted part of it on his business venture, used part of it as a down payment for our flat - which is in his name, and for other expenses.

    About the flat - the down payment was given in part before marriage, but the flat was signed/registered/bought after marriage in his name (on a mortgage/home loan).

    My parents also paid for almost all our living expenses as well while he was "starting" his business, which has not started even a year later. My parents were pressurized to pay by his and his family's mistreatment of me.

    I need and want all this money back to build a life for myself now and to support my parents, for whom that money was the bulk of their savings.

    My Questions:
    1) How do I claim this money when I am filing for divorce from the US? Will I need to go to a Indian court to claim this money?

    One problem is that almost all of this money was transferred through cash dealings, so only bank statements - amounts and dates - will show anything I guess. However I do not have access to his or his parents' bank statements.

    So, what proof can I show?

    2) Will my filing for divorce on the basis of domestic abuse result in any punishment/penalty in India for him?
    (I never filed any police complaint while in India on this issue).

    Any help/advice/answers to these questions, especially concerning the claim to return the money and the proof I can show, would be greatly appreciated.

    Thank You

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts