DUI in 2001 was taken care of 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DUI in 2001 was taken care of 2017

I was convicted of a DUI in California in 2001 and retained a lawyer and he went to my first court date. The court gave me 3 year probation, fine and 3 month school. I was released on my own recognizance at the day of my arrest no jail time. I needed to move to Florida and my lawyer said he will take care of everything. So after 16 years I decided to naturalize to become a citizen and filed my N-400 and did my biometrics and went to my interview and I passed everything but they wanted to see my court disposition/minute order for my DUI so to my surprise my lawyer did not appear to my court case and found out there was a warrant out for me. But I had no problem getting my Driver's license in florida and in 2014 I also renewed my green card without any issues. So I retained a lawyer in CA. to represent me on my DUI case and he got the warrant squashed and my probation terminated. I had to repay my fines to the court and do a 32 hour CA. approved DUI classes here online and had my case expunged. So obviously my first lawyer I sent my fine fees was not given to the court. Now since i have taken care off my DUI obligations will my probation be an issue because it has not been 5 years applying to good moral character? An immigration attorney said "that considering I have been on probation during the "statutory period" so the probation 'may be considered by the service" I should be approved for naturalization.

I would like a second opinion on the probation issue if anyone can explain what ("that considering I have been on probation during the "statutory period" so the probation 'may be considered by the service") means exactly. Thanks in advance.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X