Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-94 Extension after passport renewal at mexico border near Sandiego

Hi All,

My wife is on L1. Her passport is about to expire in Jan 2018. We have renewed it recently. She has visa validity till Sep 2018. But I-94 is valid till Dec-2017.

We are planning to goto san diego -mexico border to get my wifes I-94 extended.

Is Anyone having recent Experience in San-Diego-Mexico Border?

Thanks,
    Balaji

I-94 Exension

Yes, I recently extended I-94 last month and can share useful information.

First, You don't necessarily need to cross mexico border and come back to extend your I-94. I also had I-94 valid until Dec17 due to my old passport expiration. So last month I traveled to Mexico border to get this extended. Instead of crossing the border directly, first I went to Land port of entry and explained my case to an immigration officer. He directed me to another adjacent office where I again explained that why I am here. Further I was directed to a Fee window where one has to pay $6 fee for each applicant. Then they asked me some basic questions to understand my case more clearly and finally extended I-94 in the system and also attached a paper I-94 on the passport. Entire process turned out to be simpler than what I expected.

Comment

Hi @anshx, do you suggest any particular time of the day or night for quick processing? Is it true that there's lines for 3-4 hours ?

Comment

Originally posted by Balajiram View Post
        Hi All,

My wife is on L1. Her passport is about to expire in Jan 2018. We have renewed it recently. She has visa validity till Sep 2018. But I-94 is valid till Dec-2017.

We are planning to goto san diego -mexico border to get my wifes I-94 extended.

Is Anyone having recent Experience in San-Diego-Mexico Border?

Thanks,
        Balaji
        I am also stuck in same situation and also planing an diego -mexico border . If you want , I can join with you.
        Please message me .

Comment

My I-94 Extension Experience

Hi @ Neoranjit, by a line with 3-4 hours I guess you are referring to a line that is formed while coming back to USA (if you cross border). In my case, as I mentioned earlier, I did not cross the border. Instead, I directly went to Land port of entry and got all this done. I arrived there at around 6 pm and was the only person there and entire process took just 15-20 minutes for me. As I left premises, I checked and found it also got updated on the official website for I-94 immediately.

Believe me, you all don't need to worry at all since the officers were very friendly and entire process was so smooth. One can get this extended by crossing border too but we didn't prefer that option. I'll try to put detailed description in coming days to give more insight.

Comment

Originally posted by AnshX View Post
            Hi @ Neoranjit, by a line with 3-4 hours I guess you are referring to a line that is formed while coming back to USA (if you cross border). In my case, as I mentioned earlier, I did not cross the border. Instead, I directly went to Land port of entry and got all this done. I arrived there at around 6 pm and was the only person there and entire process took just 15-20 minutes for me. As I left premises, I checked and found it also got updated on the official website for I-94 immediately.

Believe me, you all don't need to worry at all since the officers were very friendly and entire process was so smooth. One can get this extended by crossing border too but we didn't prefer that option. I'll try to put detailed description in coming days to give more insight.
            this is very helpful. Thank you AnshX

Comment

First of all, Thank You to everyone who had posted their experiences. I was at the San Ysidro Port of Entry on 2nd Sep at about 5pm. This is about 30 miles from San Diego. Just look up for this place on Google Maps and park your car at the outlet mall near by. The port of entry is next door to the outlet mall.

Once in, walk in to the Port of Entry, I went straight to the payment counter, paid $6 and got a receipt for the fee. Post that, went to the officer and informed him that I need to extend my I-94 as my passport expired. Just so ,he understood me clearly, kept my passport page open and showed him the date, while I explained. It seemed like they see a lot of these cases and he understood immediately, what I wanted.
              The officer at the desk went through each of the documents prsented ( I had carried my I129, 797, Pay slips, offer letter, DL for address proof ) . Once the officer was satisfied, he quickly updated my i94.
              The newer date reflects on the website as well.
              Should any of you have any doubts, please feel free to PM me and I shall answer as quickly as I possibly can

Comment

question about I-94 extension

Thanks so much for sharing this information. My spouse is in a similar situation and we we have to extend the i-94 date. We have a couple of questions:

1) When you went to the San Ysidro POE, was it considered as entry to USA from Mexico or was it just like a visit to a CBP office within USA?

2) Did they issue a new I-94 or did they amend the i94? How does it appear on your I-94 arrival record?

3) Could you please confirm the address? Is it 720 East San Ysidro Blvd, San Ysidro, CA 92173?

Thanks!

Comment

Hi, marked my answers below per my experience.

1) When you went to the San Ysidro POE, was it considered as entry to USA from Mexico or was it just like a visit to a CBP office within USA? -- For me it was an entry to "San Ysidro Land Port of Entry – West Pedestrian Facility" which is on USA side of border.

2) Did they issue a new I-94 or did they amend the i94? How does it appear on your I-94 arrival record? --- They issued a paper I-94 and stapled on my new passport. They also updated it in the system right away.

3) Could you please confirm the address? Is it 720 East San Ysidro Blvd, San Ysidro, CA 92173? --- I don't think this is the right address as it probably points to East facility where correction would be done prior to last year. I went to West facility and the google address is --> 415-499 Virginia Ave, San Diego, CA 92173.

I noticed this thread is going under Other countries/Canada-Mexico forum, so I have put my step by step experience in detail with at - https://www.immihelp.com/forum/showt...170#post520170 in case someone needs in detail.

Comment

I noticed this thread is going under Other countries/Canada-Mexico forum, so I have put my step by step experience in detail at - https://www.immihelp.com/forum/showt...170#post520170 in case someone needs in detail.

Comment

My answers below..

Originally posted by waiter7 View Post
                      Thanks so much for sharing this information. My spouse is in a similar situation and we we have to extend the i-94 date. We have a couple of questions:

1) When you went to the San Ysidro POE, was it considered as entry to USA from Mexico or was it just like a visit to a CBP office within USA? - Considered as a entry from Mexico. You are also expected to buy a permit for $6

2) Did they issue a new I-94 or did they amend the i94? How does it appear on your I-94 arrival record? - They issue a new i94.

3) Could you please confirm the address? Is it 720 East San Ysidro Blvd, San Ysidro, CA 92173? No. This one is bang opposite "outlets at the border" . AnshX's address is the one am referring to

Thanks!

Comment

I went last week. But they asked me to go to Mexico and come back. There is a ped walk bridge that takes you to Mexico and come back to US. The walk is about 5-10 mins. Came back to US port of Entry and then to I-94 offc to get my extension. Tjis thread was very helpful.

Comment

I-94 updated at San Ysidro Pedwest after Passport Renewal

I had read a lot online that people had to cross the border at Tijuana and walk back in, however there was only one person (anshX) who said that he did not cross the border and went directly to the Pedwest office.
                          I took his advice and went directly to the pedwest office (without crossing the border). It was around 11:30 pm (yes pm) on a Saturday (labor day weekend) when we went in to the office and came out in less than 10 minutes with our new I-94 dates (updated online at the same time too). Yippeee!!!!!!!!
                          If you want to know details about my experience in the pedwest facility and how to reach it from san diego airport, read on.........
                          Landed in the US (first time) in early July 2017 with passport expiry of march 2018 on an L1-B visa. When we arrived the immigration officer stamped our I-94 dates for me (and my wife) till my passport's expiry date (March 2018). I wanted to get my I-94 extended so I went to the CBP office in downtown San Francisco but they said that they corrected only I-94 errors (there was No error to correct). So after reading a lot of reviews online, I went to San Diego (fun trip).
                          From San Diego airport I took bus no. 992 which would drop me at the City College Trolley station (it is the last stop for the bus so you can sit back and enjoy the city).
                          From City college station take a blue line trolley (red colored, very fast) to San Ysidro Transit center (last stop on that line, at the border). When you get down at the station, there is a McDonalds (open 24hrs) right at the station.
                          You need to go to the stairs right opposite McDonalds (you need to cross the trolley tracks to get to the stairs). Follow the path from the stairs (less than half a mile). At the end of the path, you need to go left. Then cross the first light (red light) and take a left from the second light (walk in the direction of the multiple huge flags). Walk about 200 yards and you will see the pedwest office on the left side.
                          The exact name of this office is San Ysidro Land Port of Entry, West Pedestrian Facility.
                          You can see that written right next to the door that you need to enter (right next to the exit doors). You probably would need to talk to the security personnel there. I explained the security personnel my situation and he just asked me to go in and explain it to the officers inside. The facility was open 24*7 and there was no one there except for three lady officers. One of the officers directed me to a Fee window where one has to pay $6 fee for each applicant. They knew my case instantly but still asked me some basic questions to understand my case more clearly and finally extended I-94 in the system and also attached a paper I-94 on the passport. The lady officers were really really nice and helpful (I bet they all are). They even suggested a few places which we could visit in San Diego
                          Entire process turned out to be easier than what I expected. Thanks to anshX for his precious advice. I will try to post pics of the place and the way leading to it (if possible).
                          I will again say that you don't need to cross the border for this.
                          Let me know if I can be of any assistance to anyone.

Note: The information posted above is not legal advice of any kind. The pictures attached were taken for the sole purposes of helping out other people to reach San Ysidro Land port of entry from the San Ysidro train station.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Question about I94 renewal at San Ysidro.

Hi there, thanks for your very informative details. Quick question, do you know if it matters when your I94 expires? If you still have like 3 to 4 months, will they still "correct" the dates to match the I797?

Originally posted by AnshX View Post
                            Hi, marked my answers below per my experience.

1) When you went to the San Ysidro POE, was it considered as entry to USA from Mexico or was it just like a visit to a CBP office within USA? -- For me it was an entry to "San Ysidro Land Port of Entry – West Pedestrian Facility" which is on USA side of border.

2) Did they issue a new I-94 or did they amend the i94? How does it appear on your I-94 arrival record? --- They issued a paper I-94 and stapled on my new passport. They also updated it in the system right away.

3) Could you please confirm the address? Is it 720 East San Ysidro Blvd, San Ysidro, CA 92173? --- I don't think this is the right address as it probably points to East facility where correction would be done prior to last year. I went to West facility and the google address is --> 415-499 Virginia Ave, San Diego, CA 92173.

I noticed this thread is going under Other countries/Canada-Mexico forum, so I have put my step by step experience in detail with at - https://www.immihelp.com/forum/showt...170#post520170 in case someone needs in detail.

Comment

Yay I94 renewed

Managed to renew/correct I94. Finally! Had to walk over and make a U turn though. I think the issue is that depending on which officer you get to talk to, the outcome will be different. First one I spoke to said no, couldn't do it. Then a second one who's super nice, directed me to go over border, even wrote down a Spanish note to help explain to their Mexico counterpart. Done.... happy man.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X