Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i94 expired and got renewed in San Ysidro

Hello All,
    Thanks for the forum discussions which really helped me getting this done.

Let me narrate my story. I had my valid I797 and Visa till Aug 2018. But my passport was expiring in Nov 26 2017 so during last entry into US, i got the i94 admit date only till passport expiry. I realized on 30th November that my i94 is expired and i would be out of the status. Based on other friend's suggestions in this forum, i walked in to San Ysidro on 02nd Dec.
    1. Parked my car in the address of Border station Parking
    2. Walk straight towards the signal, take left and you will be seeing the road going in a U turn and coming back to the same signal.
    3. Walk towards the left hand side and you will be seeing an entrance "Way to Mexico" but don't get in.
    4. Next to that door, you will be seeing a small room with a direction names i94 renewal.
    5. Get in, pay the $6 in the cash counter and you will get the i94 form.
    6. There will be 3 to 4 CBP officers and one of them will assist you by looking over your current and old passport, Latest visa, and other documents if needed. In my case, they just checked the passports and valid Visa.
    7. Then they'll take finger print checks, a question if same or diff employer (mine is same). That's it, you're done and the website will have your latest i94 which is printed by the officer and given to you.

You no need to go to the mexico border and come back. My whole process took less than 10 mins inside the building.

Comment

Originally posted by balu_rk View Post
      Hello All,

Let me narrate my story. I had my valid I797 and Visa till Aug 2018. But my passport was expiring in Nov 26 2017 so during last entry into US, i got the i94 admit date only till passport expiry. I realized on 30th November that my i94 is expired and i would be out of the status. Based on other friend's suggestions in this forum, i walked in to San Ysidro on 02nd Dec.
      2. Walk straight towards the signal, take left and you will be seeing the road going in a U turn and coming back to the same signal.
      3. Walk towards the left hand side and you will be seeing an entrance "Way to Mexico" but don't get in.
      4. Next to that door, you will be seeing a small room with a direction names i94 renewal.
      6. There will be 3 to 4 CBP officers and one of them will assist you by looking over your current and old passport, Latest visa, and other documents if needed. In my case, they just checked the passports and valid Visa.
      7. Then they'll take finger print checks, a question if same or diff employer (mine is same). That's it, you're done and the website will have your latest i94 which is printed by the officer and given to you.

You no need to go to the mexico border and come back. My whole process took less than 10 mins inside the building.
      hello balu_rk,
      Was you i-94 renewed/extended at San Ysidro Land Port of Entry, West Pedestrian Facility same like AnshX and [email protected] ? or You crossed the border and came back ?

Comment

Question about I94 renewal at San Ysidro.

Hello,

Did you got your i-94 extended/renewed at San Ysidro Land Port of Entry, West Pedestrian Facility like AnshX and bhatia.sahil0 ? or You have to cross the border and come back ?
        I am traveling San Ysidro border next week for same I-94 renewal/extension so wanted to get better understanding if this done at West Pedestrian Facility or need to cross the border. So that i can prepare my self accordingly.

Hello All,

Comment

Hello Ankur are u able to get your i94 extended?

[

QUOTE=ankur_15;543270]Hello,

Did you got your i-94 extended/renewed at San Ysidro Land Port of Entry, West Pedestrian Facility like AnshX and bhatia.sahil0 ? or You have to cross the border and come back ?
          I am traveling San Ysidro border next week for same I-94 renewal/extension so wanted to get better understanding if this done at West Pedestrian Facility or need to cross the border. So that i can prepare my self accordingly.[/QUOTE]

Comment

do they require deputation letter as well for I 94 renewal

Hi,

Can you please let me know.

My case is same as passport is expiring in march 2018 and I got I-94 until march 2018 but visa is until 2019.

Do I need to carry any deputation letter bcoz my employer is based out Atlanta and my client and work location is California . (along with I129,I797,LCA,amendement,DL)

and another question can I go to San Jose or SFO CBP offices instead of San Diego Mexico border.

Comment

Originally posted by Daswanth View Post
              [

QUOTE=ankur_15;543270]Hello,

I am traveling San Ysidro border next week for same I-94 renewal/extension so wanted to get better understanding if this done at West Pedestrian Facility or need to cross the border. So that i can prepare my self accordingly.
              [/QUOTE]

Hi Daswanth,

I did got my I-94 renewed at San Ysidro Land Port of Entry, West Pedestrian Facility which is on US side. I also paid my fees for new I-94 online so that i didn't have to stay in line, as it was a huge line when i arrived in the evening.
              One thing that i would like to point out is, Officer did mention to me that technically i have to cross the border and come back to renew the I-94. But as favor he did renewed my I-94.

Comment

Originally posted by kiran4468 View Post
                Hi,

Can you please let me know.

My case is same as passport is expiring in march 2018 and I got I-94 until march 2018 but visa is until 2019.

Do I need to carry any deputation letter bcoz my employer is based out Atlanta and my client and work location is California . (along with I129,I797,LCA,amendement,DL)

and another question can I go to San Jose or SFO CBP offices instead of San Diego Mexico border.
                Hi Kiran,

I am not sure what is deputation letter. So i won't be able to answer that.
                Basically i carried all the document that i usually carry when i travel outside of United States keeping in mind that i have to renter. I tried visiting CBP office to my nearby airport, but it didn't work out they can only fix the I-94 if they have made any error. And this is not the error on there part so they cannot fix it at the airport that's what they told me. But it's always worth trying.

Hence i followed the direction posted in this thread and was able to renew my I-94 at the San Diego Border.

*Note: The information posted above is not legal advice of any kind

Comment

Visa stamp expired, I-797 valid, should I go?

Thank you for everyone posting your experiences.

I have I-94 expired 2 months ago with my old passport. My visa stamp is also expired. My I-797 is till June 2019.

I am wondering ---- after your i-94 was updated, does the online status show you entered US from this port on the day you travelled to San Ysidro or they simply "corrected" the old entry record when your old i-94 was given.

The reason I am asking is that: I might have a problem following this path since I don't have a valid visa stamp....

Thanks!
                  Last edited by ertu; 03-10-2018, 07:40 PM.

Comment

extend new I-94 at Otay Mesa, California

I have similar situation as other people in this forum. My I-94 expires in Aug 2018 and my H1B will expire in Feb 2019. I got my new passport, old passport, a document of address in CA and went to Otay Mesa, California land of port. I use the address "2500 Paseo Internacional San Diego, CA 92143" in google. You can park in the plaza and pay for the parking. It's $2 for one hour and you get one hour free.
                    At first, I did some research and found it could be possible to get I94 extended in SENTRI enrollment center without going to cross the border. But when I talked to the officer in SENTRI, they directed me to the other building right next to SENTRI. That building is the land of port. When you entered the land of port from US side, you'll easily identified a notice with I-94 in Spanish. Follow the direction, you'll have to pay the $6 fee and wait in line to get into a room tagged "I-94 permission". I arrived around 4PM on Friday. It took me 30 minutes in the waiting line. Not bad. In the room, there were 4 officers to process the issues with I-94. They are pretty familiar with the extension of I-94 due to passport expiry. So, without asking too many questions, the officer gave me an updated I-94 in a paper indexed to my old passport. I also checked online. My i-94 was updated accordingly. Hope the above will help. Otay Mesa land of port is another option to extend I-94 in San Diego.

Comment

extend I 94

Hello All,

Hi,

Could you please let me know after you got new I-94, did it change your "Most Recent Entry" date on electronic I-94? or just updated "Admitted Until Date"?

Thanks.

Comment

I-94 Extension after passport renewal mexico border

HI Guys

which of the centers ( San Ysidro / Otey Mesa ) is the best to get the I-94 renewed ? Please suggest as I have my I-94 expiring in 2 months time.
                        Have renewed my passport. How safe are these places to travel to ? Have to travel from SJC, CA .

Comment

I94 extension after passport renew, L1 visa

I also have the same case, I94 is going to expire and needs to be extended. My visa is valid for another 2 years.
                          Can i travel out of country like Mexico anytime by air and come back and get it done or only on the current I94 expiry date ?
                          Please suggest.

Comment

i94 extension for H1B ViSA in Texas?

Hello Guys,

I am in a similar situation as most of you.
                            My wife's i94 expires in Aug 2018. The VISA stamp is from company A.
                            She had her latest i797A, from company B, valid until Feb 2020.

Her passport got renewed last month and we want to get her i94 extended.

1. Does the change of employer and i797A from new employer work with the method of extension discussed in this forum?

2. Looks like most have had success with San Diego facility for extension. Does anyone know of or have had similar experience for Texas facility?

We stay in Indiana, so this is closer.

Any help is appreciated.

Comment

I-94 Extension/Update after passport renewal at mexico border near San Diego

This Thread helps me a lot and special Thanks to AnshX & Bhati.Sahil0 !! who explained in details.
                              Here is my Exp & Details (This is not legal advice and just sharing based on exp) :-
                              **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** *
                              My Old passport was getting expired by Aug 2018 (Though my Visa is valid till Oct 2019) So I got I-94 valid till Aug 2018. So now i decided to go to Mexico Border and get it Updated.
                              - Landed San Diego on Sat around 08:00 PM PST.
                              - Took Bus # 992 from Airport and get down at City Collage Center (Last Stop)
                              - You can buy ticket for $ 7 (valid for 1 Day (Day ends by 11:59 PM/Not for 24 hrs) and this will be useful for all bus/trolley etc.
                              - You have to give exact $ 7 change (So keep it mind to keep some change) / You can also buy ticket from Vending machine (located inside the Airport)
                              - Approx time to reach from Airport to City College Center is 20 mins (Depends on Traffic)
                              - From City College Center take a Blue Line Trolley (Towards San Ysidro). Your Ticket ($7) will be valid in this Troelly as well
                              - Approx time to reach from City College Center to San Ysidro is 35-40 mins.
                              - Get down at San Ysidro and you will see MacDonalds (left side) and opposite to that (You have to cross road) stairs which will lead you to the bridge
                              - Take the stairs and follow the bridge, at end of the bridge you have to take left and cross 1st Signal.
                              - Take a left from 2nd Signal ( Right opposite to road you will see Dollar Tree) and follow the path then you will see big American Flag.
                              - This is west pedestrian facility where they will update your I-94 (Opposite to this you will see big Shopping mall).
                              - From west pedestrian facility there is way to go to Mexico and it is being called as New Mexico Border.
                              - Please note that if you walk beside the MacDonalds , it will lead you to the Old Mexico Border.
                              - In West pedestrian facility, you will see 2 door and you have to go to left side where they will update your I-94.
                              - In my case, Officer asked me that I have to cross border (Even though i requested).
                              - Later I understood , depends on the officer they can straight away update the I-94 or ask to cross the border and come back.
                              - Please note that Since New Mexico Border open between 6 AM - 10 PM (and i reached there around 11:30 PM) So I went back and crossed using Old Mexico Border (Went back to MacDonald and folled the path).
                              - While Entering to Mexico no one asked anything.
                              - After Entering to Mexico you will see huge difference (lot of local open shops etc) and from there I took U -turn.
                              - Now While entering to USA you have to go to New Border (not the Old one). But I took the Old border knowingly that New Border will open in the Early Morning.
                              - I explained the case to security Officer and they understood my case and one of the officer let me get into USA and asked me to go to the "west pedestrian facility" and get it updated.
                              - Again Followed the same path (From MacDonalds --> Stairs--> Bridge -->west pedestrian facility)
                              - Officer saw me again and asked why you are here again then I explained the I Crossed the border and immigration officer only sent me here.
                              - He got satisfied and then updated my I-94 (Please remember you can pay $6 fee to cbp site and take a print of that)
                              - I was able to see update online within 5 min (towards my old passport)
                              - There are places to eat like MacDonalds, Jack in the Box etc.
                              - Take back the Blue line Trolley and get down at America Plaza (last stop) - Please note that Trolley will run from 4:00 AM - Mid night. You can see all the schedule there.
                              - You can buy the ticket ($ 7 for 1 day) in station using the vending machine.
                              - From America Plaza take a 992 bus and get down to Airport.

Hope this will help to some people and best of luck !!

Thanks,
                              Piyu

Comment

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Originally posted by Neoranjit View Post
                                First of all, Thank You to everyone who had posted their experiences. I was at the San Ysidro Port of Entry on 2nd Sep at about 5pm. This is about 30 miles from San Diego. Just look up for this place on Google Maps and park your car at the outlet mall near by. The port of entry is next door to the outlet mall.

Once in, walk in to the Port of Entry, I went straight to the payment counter, paid $6 and got a receipt for the fee. Post that, went to the officer and informed him that I need to extend my I-94 as my passport expired. Just so ,he understood me clearly, kept my passport page open and showed him the date, while I explained. It seemed like they see a lot of these cases and he understood immediately, what I wanted.
                                The officer at the desk went through each of the documents prsented ( I had carried my I129, 797, Pay slips, offer letter, DL for address proof ) . Once the officer was satisfied, he quickly updated my i94.
                                The newer date reflects on the website as well.
                                Should any of you have any doubts, please feel free to PM me and I shall answer as quickly as I possibly can
                                I have a quick question - In this case , was your I94 already expired or was about to expire?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X