X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medi-Cal for GC Parents

Hi Insurance Forum

I'm in the process of applying GC for my parents who are based in the UK and I'm in CA, USA. Both are aged over 65 and have low-income.

Are they eligible for medical coverage like Medi-Cal? Or do they need to be in the US on GC for a min. amount of time before getting coverage?

RE: Medical for GC Parents

Hello,

Whoever sponsors the individuals green cards regardless of their personal income (unless they are employed in the United States or obtaining green cards through other means) the sponsoring individual's income is the applicants income. As a affidavit of financial obligation is signed the person being sponsored is not eligible for any government benefits for i believe 5 years and at that point they are elgible to enroll into Medicare. So it would would be best to get them a short term plan. Until they are eligible to enroll into a domestic plan paying full price.

You can find short term solutions at www.insubuy.com.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct
      No, because sponsor deeming is not applicable to Medi-Cal.
      Thank you for the info - its so confusing and getting a lot of mixed information.

Can I attempt to apply for Medi-Cal while waiting for the GC?

Comment

There is no limit to people's greed.

If you knowingly commit such fraud, you may end up in Jail.

In addition to the income, their worldwide assets must not exceed $2,000.

If you are not capable of taking care of your parents, why do you even want to sponsor their green card?
        Immihelp Support
        No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

Of-course you can apply but the consequences for doing so when they are not legally eligible for it can cause you more grief than you can imagine. So if you are willing to chance that then be my guest in doing so.

I agree with that if you cannot afford to live up to that affidavit that you sign taking financial responsibility for your parents after sponsoring them, then you need not sponsor them at all. It is not the responsibility if the government or the citizens of this country and our hard earned tax dollars to take care of your parents so either do it on your own or don't sponsor them at all. You are in fact doing the polar opposite and making them a burden on the government.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X