Green Card holder engaged to US citizen but moved out of the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Card holder engaged to US citizen but moved out of the US

I was living in the US for 10 years, where I obtained my green card. I met a man, and we had a child together. We recently moved back to my home country (I am sponsoring him). Our daughter was born in the US, and we would like to return one day. I know if I reside outside the US for over 1 year, I will lose my green card status. If I marry my fiancé within the year, can I apply from outside the country for my citizenship? I know normally I would have to reside in the US with my husband for 3 years before applying, but since I am already a perm. resident, can I apply right away even if we aren't in the country? Thank you.

You must be domiciled in the U.S. to apply for Naturalization, unless with an Active Duty military husband or you are working for a civilian contractor with the U.S.

You need to at least make a trip back to the U.S. before you are out for a year (unless you have a Reentry Permit) to keep your GC status.

-Ray B

Originally posted by lanibritt View Post
    I was living in the US for 10 years, where I obtained my green card. I met a man, and we had a child together. We recently moved back to my home country (I am sponsoring him). Our daughter was born in the US, and we would like to return one day. I know if I reside outside the US for over 1 year, I will lose my green card status. If I marry my fiancé within the year, can I apply from outside the country for my citizenship? I know normally I would have to reside in the US with my husband for 3 years before applying, but since I am already a perm. resident, can I apply right away even if we aren't in the country? Thank you.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X