Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you travel on a soon-to-expire green card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you travel on a soon-to-expire green card?

My green card is going to expire in 2 weeks, and I am planning on flying out of the U.S. this weekend. Will this pose a problem at the airport? I know some airlines will not let you fly on a passport that will expire soon. Is there a similar rule for green cards?

I am also hoping that entering the country (assuming they let me leave) won't be an issue, since I am coming back the day before my green card expires. So it will still be valid, but not for long. However, I have applied for renewal and am planning on carrying a copy of the application and notice of receipt with me, in case the immigration officials notice the soon-to-expire date and don't want to let me back in.

Does anyone have any personal experience with this situation? Any advice is much appreciated! I can't find anything relevant to this situation online — only about green cards that have already expired.

Technically, airlines are even supposed to board you with an expired 10-year green card, so a not-yet expired card should definitely not be a problem.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

If you are concerned (and newacct has pointed out you shouldn't be) make an Infopass appointment, take your valid passport and I-90 receipt notice to the field office, then ask for an I-551 stamp

Comment

I thought to get I 551 stamp, one has to have a pending I-90 application (notice of receipt)?

Whoops, he has already applied for a renewal. ignore my comment.
        Last edited by abumiqdad; 09-07-2017, 10:58 PM. Reason: adding info

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X