Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is USA marriage certificate / license valid in india?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is USA marriage certificate / license valid in india?

Hi,

I'm a NRI of Indian nationality in USA with a H1B Visa and I'm planning on getting married to a girl of Indian Nationality with a F1 Visa in USA.
    If I get the Marriage License / Certificate in USA, Will it still be valid for apply a H4 Visa in India for my wife?

Please let me know if the marriage certificate provided by a Court in USA if it will still be valid in India or will I need to get the marriage registered and obtain a certificate again in India to avoid any complications in future like Visa application, Passport, Green Card, bank account opening , Life Insurance, Beneficiary both in USA and India.

Thanks.

A US Consulate in India will recognize a marriage certificate issued by a US county clerk

Comment

Do I need to get an Indian Certificate from Indian embassy

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
      A US Consulate in India will recognize a marriage certificate issued by a US county clerk
      Thanks for the response. Does it mean it is better to get a marriage certificate in India or from the Indian consulate in USA just to avoid any compilations in future and is it legal to hold 2 marriage certificates from 2 different countries for the same date and with the same person.

Comment

You definitely don't want to get a "consular wedding", which most consulates in the US offer, including Indian consulates (under their Foreign Marriage Act 1969). They aren't valid for US purposes, and they may not be valid in other third countries, although they are valid in India.

I wouldn't want to have two marriages. It may make some things easier, but it won't make things consistent. Like, you'd have different dates and places of marriages on different documents). You can't be lawfully married a second time without dissolving the first marriage, it also seems disrespectful to the law to register a marriage you know to be void, because

Arrange to have the Indian consulate attest your county clerk issued US marriage certificate, then upon your return to India have it certified by the Ministry of External Affairs
        Last edited by inadmissible; 09-13-2017, 11:26 PM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X