Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About the second entry?

Hello,

I have won Green Card by lottery. I have made my first entrance on April 2016 and return to my country. I'm planning to make my second entrance on January or February 2018. Do I have any problem when I try to re-enter to the US because my out of state stay is longer than 6 months?

Also I haven't receive the SSN number. Since I don't have an SSN, I couldn't register for SSS. I'm planning to get my SSN when my second entrance and register SSS immideately. Am I going to have problems about this situation?

Thanks

The problem is with 1 year, not 6 months. A green card is only valid for re-entry after an absence of at most 1 year. If you don't have a re-entry permit, you technically have no documents that will allow you to re-enter the US. If you have the card, you can try to enter with it anyway and the officer might let you in with a warning in their discretion, or they can deny you entry and ask you to voluntarily give up your green card. If you refuse, they will temporarily let you in and have you appear before immigration court to determine whether you have abandoned residence.

You don't need an SSN to register for SSS. You can still register for SSS as long as you haven't turned 26.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X