Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• URGENT HELP: Travel after getting Green Card

Hi,

I got Green Card in EB-1B category (Outstanding Researcher). The AOS approval was received in April 2017 (I-485 filing was done in Oct 2016) and I also received the physical card in April 2017. I was with the petitioning employer through the entire green card process and am now changing the job (similar area) after 6 months of receiving the green card.

I have a few queries regarding the situation:

1. Does changing the job affect my green card status? Are our green cards tied to the employer in any form?

2. Is there any stipulated duration during which I should remain with the petitioning employer after getting the green card to avoid any problems with the green card (worried about revocation) and with later naturalization process?

3. I am planning an international trip (first trip since getting the green card) for about 3 weeks while "in-between" the 2 jobs (I have the offer letter from the new employer).
    a) I am concerned about re-entry to US i.e. at the border control, will the fact that I am currently unemployed (new employment starts after my return) or the fact that I am changing my employer affect my ability to re-enter the country?
    b) Are there any travel guidelines that I should follow in this situation?
    c) What documentation should I carry to ensure safe re-entry into USA?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Originally posted by axg354 View Post
    Hi,

I got Green Card in EB-1B category (Outstanding Researcher). The AOS approval was received in April 2017 (I-485 filing was done in Oct 2016) and I also received the physical card in April 2017. I was with the petitioning employer through the entire green card process and am now changing the job (similar area) after 6 months of receiving the green card.

I have a few queries regarding the situation:

1. Does changing the job affect my green card status? Are our green cards tied to the employer in any form?

2. Is there any stipulated duration during which I should remain with the petitioning employer after getting the green card to avoid any problems with the green card (worried about revocation) and with later naturalization process?

3. I am planning an international trip (first trip since getting the green card) for about 3 weeks while "in-between" the 2 jobs (I have the offer letter from the new employer).
    a) I am concerned about re-entry to US i.e. at the border control, will the fact that I am currently unemployed (new employment starts after my return) or the fact that I am changing my employer affect my ability to re-enter the country?
    b) Are there any travel guidelines that I should follow in this situation?
    c) What documentation should I carry to ensure safe re-entry into USA?

Thanks for the help in advance.
    1) No. Your GC is not "tied" to the employer.
    2) No. However, during your naturalization, 5 yrs. down the line, USCIS will probe if you were with your previous employer just for the sole purpose of getting a GC. Beyond that there is no stipulated time. You could have left the very next day you got your GC or infact during the AOS process too. Similarly your employer could have fired you too during this process. All USCIS is concerned with is whether the GC petition etc., were done in good faith.
    3) You are a permanent resident. Beyond that it does not matter whether you are employed or unemployed. Entry/Re-entry for any one, other than a citizen is always at the discretion of the CBP officer, which means there is always a possibility that anyone (visa holder, permanent resident, etc.) will be denied entry. In your case it should be a remote probability, since your record is clean. All you need are your passport and GC.
    Just an opinion; Not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X