Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re entry after 14 months

Hi,
    My mother is a GC holder and has been out of U.S for 14 months. Did not anticipate her staying for more than 1 yr in India. Had some health issues and is ready to travel now. Is she okay to return without any problems? really appreciate your help. Have been losing sleep over this. Thanks.

Is her card still valid? If so, probably the best route would be to just fly back to the US and try her luck. There is a good chance the officer will just let her in. In the worst case, if they deny her entry (make sure she declines to voluntarily give up her permanent residency by signing I-407 if they ask her to do that), is she would have to go before an immigration judge who will decide whether she abandoned residence. This is preferable to the alternative, which is to apply for an SB-1 returning resident visa at a US consulate abroad, which is very hard to get.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Yes, her GCi is valid untill 2023.

[QUOTE=newacct;524052]Is her card still valid? If so, probably the best route would be to just fly back to the US and try her luck. There is a good chance the officer will just let her in. In the worst case, if they deny her entry (make sure she declines to voluntarily give up her permanent residency by signing I-407 if they ask her to do that), is she would have to go before an immigration judge who will decide whether she abandoned residence. This is preferable to the alternative, which is to apply for an SB-1 returning resident visa at a US consulate abroad, which is very hard to get.

Yes, her GCi is valid untill 2023.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X