How long is green card valid for my wife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long is green card valid for my wife

I'm in the military and just got orders to South Korea in April for a year, couple days ago we got the i130 approved. If I start the process right away and she gets her green card does she have a time frame that she has to enter the US and how long is the visa valid for? I will be in Korea from April 2018-April 2019 I want to fill with NVC right away to have her green card but she will be waiting in Mexico while I do my tour in Korea.

She doesn't "get her green card" outside the US -- she gets an immigrant visa. The immigrant visa is usually valid for 6 months. She has to enter the US during the validity of the immigrant visa (i.e. on or before the expiration date of the visa). Only when she enters the US with the immigrant visa, does she become a permanent resident and get a green card.

Once she is a permanent resident, she can take temporary trips abroad, but should maintain residence in the US, or risk losing her permanent residency.

Since she has a spouse stationed with the US government abroad for at least a year, she may be able to apply for naturalization under INA 319(b) immediately upon entering the US as a permanent resident.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X