Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any help appreciated !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any help appreciated !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Planning to propose to my GF (F-1 visa & on OPT extension) and then apply for a marriage license. I live in California and would like some help or any helpful info would be great.

1. Do I need additional forms for marriage license since she is on F-1 visa?
    2. Can we start application for Green Card after we file for marriage license?
    3. Her OPT expires in May 2018, can she stay in the USA if we plan to get a marriage license in February 2018?

Thanks Everyone. This is a great forum!!!

Getting married in the United States is a three step process. First you obtain a marriage license, then you get married, then [usually the officiant] submits the executed marriage license to the marriage registrar. The marriage license alone is no good when it comes to immigration benefits for spouses. Also, you'll need proof of marriage: a county clerk's recorder office issued extract of record - the "marriage certificate". The marriage certificate is the key that unlocks the doors to spousal benefits

To answer your questions,

1) both applicants must present goverment-issued identification
    2) she can apply for adjustment to permanent residence after you have both obtained a copy of your marriage certificate. In most California counties, the certificate is only available about 2 weeks after the executed marriage license is filed with the county clerk's recorder's office
    3) in most counties, you have to get married within 90 days of the marriage license being issued. So yes, your fiancee will be able to stay if she gets married, obtains her marriage certificate, and files all the required paperwork with USCIS

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X