Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to get an OPT based on a MS degree obtained as a part of a PhD program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to get an OPT based on a MS degree obtained as a part of a PhD program

I'm a PhD student in US. I'm originally from India. I came to do PhD directly after my undergrad in India. As a part of the PhD program, I was required to complete a MS degree. I had to take courses , do research and defend a MS thesis to fulfil the criteria for MS. I also was awarded an MS degree formally via a convocation program. After finishing my MS, my department asks us if we are interested in continuing towards a PhD. I wanted to so I decided to stay back. However, in the last few years now, I've seen quite a lot of students getting fired from my group when they get stuck on a project. Currently, I'm stuck on a project too and the fear of getting fired is making my life even worse.

I wanted to know if there was any way by which I could get an OPT based on the MS which I completed as a part of the PhD program, if I were to quit. I've been on the same F-1 and I-20 since I came to US. I've never used my OPT previously. I've used CPT for 3 months after finishing my MS.

I sincerely hope that I never end up pursuing this option. But if the situation gets worse, I want to be sure that I've a way in mind.

Originally posted by foo_bar View Post
    I'm a PhD student in US. I'm originally from India. I came to do PhD directly after my undergrad in India. As a part of the PhD program, I was required to complete a MS degree. I had to take courses , do research and defend a MS thesis to fulfil the criteria for MS. I also was awarded an MS degree formally via a convocation program. After finishing my MS, my department asks us if we are interested in continuing towards a PhD. I wanted to so I decided to stay back. However, in the last few years now, I've seen quite a lot of students getting fired from my group when they get stuck on a project. Currently, I'm stuck on a project too and the fear of getting fired is making my life even worse.

I wanted to know if there was any way by which I could get an OPT based on the MS which I completed as a part of the PhD program, if I were to quit. I've been on the same F-1 and I-20 since I came to US. I've never used my OPT previously. I've used CPT for 3 months after finishing my MS.

I sincerely hope that I never end up pursuing this option. But if the situation gets worse, I want to be sure that I've a way in mind.
    Your applying for OPT dates have passed. They are only available 60 days from the date of graduation.That is the maximum late date you can apply for, so i believe although you are eligible for an stem opt but not now instead after completing your studies which only comes to effect after you finish this current degree.

Your least preferable options,

Transfer to another college for a new phd program from scartch or transfer credits may be or enroll in any masters equivalent program similar to ur field of study and once completed apply for OPT if you donot feel safe .

Onec question though not clear is the firing part whether firing out of the project is firing from the phd program or not.
    If it is only project work and you can stay and take another program in the same college then there is nothing to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by pandora-box View Post
      Your applying for OPT dates have passed. They are only available 60 days from the date of graduation.That is the maximum late date you can apply for, so i believe although you are eligible for an stem opt but not now instead after completing your studies which only comes to effect after you finish this current degree.

Your least preferable options,

Transfer to another college for a new phd program from scartch or transfer credits may be or enroll in any masters equivalent program similar to ur field of study and once completed apply for OPT if you donot feel safe .

Onec question though not clear is the firing part whether firing out of the project is firing from the phd program or not.
      If it is only project work and you can stay and take another program in the same college then there is nothing to worry about.
      But does the OPT depend on the graduation date or the program end date on I-20? Because if I have to leave the program end date will be the date I leave. Also, I did not complete MS as a separate degree before joining a PhD program. It was all on the same F-1 and I-20. Does this not change anything?

Yes, getting fired from the project means loosing funding and hence getting out of the program. That's why I'm very concerned.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by foo_bar View Post
      But does the OPT depend on the graduation date or the program end date on I-20? Because if I have to leave the program end date will be the date I leave. Also, I did not complete MS as a separate degree before joining a PhD program. It was all on the same F-1 and I-20. Does this not change anything?

Yes, getting fired from the project means loosing funding and hence getting out of the program. That's why I'm very concerned.
      Also, what about pre-completion OPT? Can I get an OPT based on this criteria?

Comment

It is the graduation date, not the program completion date. It does not matter how or why you got your degree viz., does not matter whether it is the same I20 or a different one.
        Just an opinion; Not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X