Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pregnant girlfriend

Hi all,

I got myself into a hard situation. I'm in the US on L1A visa and my girlfriend living over sea got recently pregnant with me (a lot of business trips to EU...)
    The insurance won't be an issue since my company provides it for me and my family.
    I got some ideas about how to bring her LEGALLY over here.
    We want to have the baby to be born in US even if we are not sure is we want to stay here forever.

1 - Go back to EU real quick, get married so she can apply for L2 visa. The problem here is that we have limited time so just go back and get married isn't that easy especially I can't just leave for 2-3 weeks because of the work. Also we know eachother for 1.5 year, hopefully that won't be suspicious for embassy. The wedding would have to be quick, not a lot of guest if some... We truly love each other and want to live together and we were thinking about getting married and apply for L2 before she got pregnant so we do not do this just because of the baby. Not going to tell on interview that she is pregnant...

2 - Bring her over here on B2 and deliver the baby here. Than after 6 months she would have to go back to EU for L2. Of course we would get married while she is here. Not sure if this will work. The other issue is that she would have to go back and the baby would be about a month old... Not a great idea since the baby won't be able to travel. Is there a possibility to extend the 6 month perriod while she is here?

3 - Bring her over here on B2 and let her stay here longer than 6 months, maybe ilegally for few months. Get married, have baby here etc... once my company apply for my GC she would be my wife so she would get one too. Not sure if the fact that she will be here longer then 6 months will put the GC application on high risk.

4 - Please let me know if you have any ideas. Everything can be helpful.

Thanks!

Congratulations on the upcoming baby and nuptials!

Option 1 seems like your best bet

Comment

Another option is she comes on B2, get married, and then do Change of Status to L2. It's fine that she comes on B2 intending to do that as long as she intends to return to her residence abroad at the end of the L2.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

That is a great idea! Thanks a lot this is saving my life here :-)
        I was thinking about this but I thought that she would have to leave the country and go back to EU for the stamp in the passport...
        Can you describe how the process works? Any experiences on your own?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by joseph99 View Post
          That is a great idea! Thanks a lot this is saving my life here :-)
          I was thinking about this but I thought that she would have to leave the country and go back to EU for the stamp in the passport...
          Can you describe how the process works? Any experiences on your own?

Thanks!
          A US visa is only for entering the US. Status is what determines ability to stay in the US. Entering on an L2 visa puts the person into L2 status, but so does Change of Status in the US from another status. She doesn't need an L2 visa if she isn't leaving and re-entering the US. The next time she leaves the US and need to re-enter the US in L2 status, then she will need to get an L2 visa.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

I have one more question. I was thinking about this and my Visa ends September 2018 so I will need to extend them.
            My plan would be to bring my girlfriend over here on B2, say she is coming for visit.
            Then once my company decide to extend my visa I can say since they want me to stay, we decided to get married and live together here.
            This was not the initial plan (that was to leave in september) but since the company want me here, we need to change her status and extend my visa at the same time.
            Can these two steps be submited to the USCIS at the same time?
            Do I need to leave the country to get my visa extended?

Thanks for responds!
            Last edited by joseph99; 09-28-2017, 08:18 PM.

Comment

any comments guys?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X