Renew Green Card or NOT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renew Green Card or NOT?

I earned my permanent residency 9 years ago through employment sponsored immigration with higher education. I am hoping to have a discussion on this forum about the risk of renewal disapproval before booking flight tickets, car rental and hotels.

My previous entry was in SFO with a re-entry permit. Along with 60-70 people at the secondary, I was treated as criminals that the custom officers asked questions repeatedly about my background or my life outside the US. This country does not welcome immigrants.

Facts
    (1) Have been away from the country for some years
    (2) Still have several banking accounts in US
    (3) Tax document and filing was missing in past 2-3 years
    (4) Have one US entry stamp on an expired passport. No exit stamp.
    (5) May travel to Saipan or Guam just for an entry stamp

Questions
    (1) Can I file the renewal application by using any address? (different from the state I lived before)
    (2) How soon would the biometrics appointment arrive the mailbox?
    (3) What do they normally check on the renewal application?
    (4) Would land travel from Canada to US reduce risk and stress?

Thank you for sharing your experience and advise about the renewal application.

I can give short answers to the questions you ask, but i do have some questions to understand your background.

1. Are you in the USA at the moment?
    2. You GC is expiring right? but have you maintained your Lawful Permanent Resident status? (being away from USA for more than 364 days would render the GC to be invalid as a permit to re-enter the country), and this means your LPR status might have been revoked.
    3. For all the time you have been away, have you applied for Re-entry permit and granted? And entered USA using the re-entry permit?

Now, some answers to your questions:
    (1) Can I file the renewal application by using any address? (different from the state I lived before)
    A. Yes, you can, but it would be a good to update your address with USCIS (AR-11 form - or can be done online) with your new address. The correspondence for the GC renewal will use the address your enter in the form.

(2) How soon would the biometrics appointment arrive the mailbox?
    A. Based on my experience (very recent exp), It should arrive within 14 days of the filing. If you file I-90 (the renewal GC form) online, you can get the notice earlier online - and the actual letter will arrive 2-3 days later.

(3) What do they normally check on the renewal application?
    A. nothing to my knowledge, you just need to provide the documents they requested when you file it.

(4) Would land travel from Canada to US reduce risk and stress?
    A. i am not sure of PoE on Canada border would be - but they might be more lenient compared to other airports PoE .

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X