Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When can I travel outside of US with advanced parol?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When can I travel outside of US with advanced parol?

Hi. I have a question about advanced parol. I filed application for green card in May 2017 through marriage. I received EAD card and Advanced Parol in August. Well, on my EAD card, it says "Served as Advanced Parol". So, I thought I am ready to travel and went to Vancouver B.C from Washington by a car a couple of weeks ago. When I was going to coming back to US, I was told that I was not supported to leave the country yet and it could mean I am giving up Green card. Luckily, the border patrol agent allowed me to reenter US. However, I was planning to go back to Japan in this December. I would really want to know when I can travel. According to the border patrol agent, I am supposed to wait to leave until I finish the interview and receive stamp? at the interview. Is that correct? I thought people tends to get a green card within like a month after they did interview. If i could use the advanced parol for such a short term, I really don't see the point of the Advanced Parol. I would like to know if you have ever travel with the Advanced Parol. Please let me know if you know something!

Thank you

Whoever told you that you were not supposed to leave was plain wrong. The purpose of AP is to give you the ability to travel internationally. People do it routinely (I too have done it). As long as your I485 does not get denied during your international travel, your AP remains valid.
    Just an opinion; Not legal advice.

Comment

I was told by my lawyer that my husband could travel, but it should only be in case of emergency. You should not spend more rime out of country than is needed so that you don't abandon your case.

Comment

Originally posted by cgbadamosi View Post
        I was told by my lawyer that my husband could travel, but it should only be in case of emergency. You should not spend more rime out of country than is needed so that you don't abandon your case.
        It's not only for emergencies. You can use AOS-based APs for vacation or anything you want.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X