Adjustment of Status/EAD tax questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjustment of Status/EAD tax questions

So, I received request for initial evidence (I-485) for a copy of marriage certificate, which I thought I sent, but I'll send another no problem.
    The other thing they asked for was a complete Federal income tax return for the most recent tax year. Here's where this gets tricky. I have until November 2 to give them this information. My spouse (sponsor) didn't make enough to file for a tax return, which she'll write up another letter and sign to indicate. The co-sponsor (her mother) is what the issue is. I submitted the most recent tax year that was required of her, and her most recent tax year is 2015. They have a extension of time application for the 2016 year, which they always do, because the co-sponsors husband has a business and busy season is in the summer and so it works for them better to wait to file.

As of October 5th, she still has yet to file and is going to very soon, but as far as I'm aware, getting a tax return back could take more than the less than 4 weeks that I have to submit the information they want. They say failure to do so will result in a denial, but I only need probably like a 2 week extension to submit the most recent tax year for the co-sponsor.

What I'm going to send is:

Letter for Sponsor indicating income was too low to file + Signature
    Letter for Co-sponsor indicating that there is an extension for 2016 and 2015 is the most recent tax year + Signature
    Co-sponsors most recent tax year (2015)
    Copy of co-sponsors application for extension of time for 2016

Is there anything else that I should send that would improve my odds of not being denied? Perhaps a completed, not filed 2016 tax return? Pay stubs of co-sponsor for 2016? Or something else I'm not thinking of?

Thank you,
    Kevin

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X