Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writing on my naturalization certificate

Hi Everyone,

I just got my naturalization certificate and want to go to the Social security administration office to update my records. In addition i intend to apply for a US passport soon.

There has been conflicting information about what to write on the space provided on the naturalization certificate. Do i sign with my regular day to day signature (as in the way i sign my checks) or should i write my full name. I have tried to check in the USCIS website and there is no helpful information about this.

Thanks for your help!

You will execute the certificate to give it legal effect

Use the same signature you use to execute every other instrument

Comment

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
      You will execute the certificate to give it legal effect

Use the same signature you use to execute every other instrument
      The issue here strictly speaking is that some people said you should use cursive writing rather than a signature. The argument is that a signature does not clearly show your name for some people. Unfortunately USCIS does not categorically address this issue.

So what is the correct answer?

Comment

Originally posted by newton1 View Post
        The issue here strictly speaking is that some people said you should use cursive writing rather than a signature. The argument is that a signature does not clearly show your name for some people. Unfortunately USCIS does not categorically address this issue.

So an update is that i went to the SSA office yesterday and i was told i don't have to write anything on the certificate right now when updating my SSN records. But later today i went to the Post office to apply for a US passport but before that i wrote my full name in cursive print on the certificate. No one in the post office told me if i did the wrong or right thing.

The moral here for me is you can either sign or write your full name. there is no right or wrong answer. I thought i was going to hear forum members opinion on this topic. But everyone appears quiet.

Goodluck to everyone!

Comment

I got differing answers

I asked this and I got two different answers...I was first told it needed to be the same as what was written on my certificate....on my certificate it says my middle name......I asked again for an answer but this time a different clerk. I was told to sign with my signature...I responded that I don't use my middle name when I sign usually....they said I could do either...if I was more comfortable with my every day signature then I should do that.....so, that is what I did since that is how it is on my DL, and any other important document I have signed.
          I know this doesn't give you a difinitive answer but it was my experience. Then when I went and applied for my passport after the oath ceremony I signed my usual signature there as well.

Comment

Defining signature...

Originally posted by newton1 View Post

Generally speaking, when one says to "sign" or use your "signature" it DOES mean to use cursive writing. Whenever "print" letters are preferred it will state "print your name".
            I hope that helps clarify things a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by ACRS View Post
              Generally speaking, when one says to "sign" or use your "signature" it DOES mean to use cursive writing. Whenever "print" letters are preferred it will state "print your name".
              I hope that helps clarify things a bit.
              When we were at the ceremony, the lady in charge running the show, together with the USCIS officer, told us we should write our name, not sign it like the way you sign checks. If you have 5 names, you need to write all 5 names. Use black ink. She gave us very specific instructions.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X