Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Impact on future (F1/K1) visa from information shared during B2 visa application

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impact on future (F1/K1) visa from information shared during B2 visa application

Hi all,

My Colombian girlfriend (second-year university student in Colombia) and I are considering our future options both related to our goal of increasing the amount of time we spend together (I live in the US, and visit her in Colombia as frequently as I can, work-permitting) and her desire to spend a semester/year studying abroad in an English-speaking country.

In an ideal world, she would get a B2 visa allowing her to visit me here in the US every few months, as well as meet my parents on one of these trips. We were planning on her applying for this, even knowing that the chances of approval are slim.

However, as previously mentioned, also in the cards is that next year, she will be eligible to study abroad with her university, which has exchange agreements with some great universities in the US for her area of study.

My concern here is that, if she were to apply for a B2 visa (and regardless of whether her application is approved or denied), the CO examining her F1 application next year will see in the notes from her B2 interview that "visiting boyfriend" was the stated purpose of her visit. This, in turn, may lead him/her to cast doubt on her intent to return to Colombia, in the same way I imagine it would for the B2 visa interview.

As a result, we are reconsidering whether it is even a good idea to apply for the B2 visa at all, and instead potentially tough it out until next year when she can honestly claim a reason for wanting to spend time in the US that doesn't involve me. This would be where its kinda tricky though, because on the one hand, she'd be lying (by omission, I suppose) if she didn't say that her reason to study in the US specifically (over other countries where her university also has partnerships) wasn't motivated by my presence there, but at the same time, her university's partner institutions in the US really would be great options for her, independent of my involvement in the situation.

Finally, it is worth mentioning that although we have no intention to marry at the moment, if that were to change in the future and she were to desire a K1 visa, I'd be concerned that they might deem an omission of any mention of me in her F1 application to be dishonest, which would negatively impact that application.

So my questions are the following: Are my concerns about the B2 application impacting a future F1 application valid? Would it be beneficial to completely write me out of the picture in her F1 application, and would that be dishonest? And might that have a negative impact on a future K1 application? Any other thoughts on the best approach to this situation?

Thanks very much!

TLDR: Will saying "visiting boyfriend" on B2 application have negative impact on potential future F1 application?

She can apply for F1 visa. Her B1 visa application should not have any negative impact on F1 visa interview. Be honest and let visa officer decide.
    This is not a legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X