Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling to Indian as a US Citizen with an Indian Passport

Hello Everyone,

I am hoping someone here can help me with my query. I recently became a US Citizen, however when applying for my OCI and Renunciation and gathering the specific documentation. I misplaced my Certificate of Naturalization (Which is a required) document when applying for OCI and Renunciation.

I have applied for a replacement to get a new Certificate of Naturalization with USCIS. However the process of getting the document will take 6 to 10 months. This will take me into the middle to the later half of next year.

I have to travel to India during mid May of 2018. If I dont receive my certificate of naturalization, how can I travel to India and return. Can I use an e-Visa? I have seen some members say that they used an e-visa and returned the passport in India on their way back.

Any comments or suggestions will be very helpful.

Thank you

Hello - I was hoping if anyone in this thread can help me with my query. Any suggestions will be very helpful.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by nishiology View Post
      Hello Everyone,

I am hoping someone here can help me with my query. I recently became a US Citizen, however when applying for my OCI and Renunciation and gathering the specific documentation. I misplaced my Certificate of Naturalization (Which is a required) document when applying for OCI and Renunciation.

I have applied for a replacement to get a new Certificate of Naturalization with USCIS. However the process of getting the document will take 6 to 10 months. This will take me into the middle to the later half of next year.

I have to travel to India during mid May of 2018. If I dont receive my certificate of naturalization, how can I travel to India and return. Can I use an e-Visa? I have seen some members say that they used an e-visa and returned the passport in India on their way back.

Any comments or suggestions will be very helpful.

Thank you
      you will have to apply for the E-visa now, once you get the replacement of Naturalization Certificate, you can apply for the OCI and Renunciation. you CANNOT use your Indian passport to travel, otherwise, you will get penalized.

Comment

Ok, I have been reviewing the e-Visa website as well. I am planning on traveling to India in May of 2018. The web site says to apply for an e-visa 3 or 4 weeks prior to travel. I plan on applying for an eVisa 4 weeks prior to travel. At the time of travel I am hoping by then or before that time I receive my certificate of naturalization and I can start the process of renunciation. However If in case I don't receive my naturalization certificate by then and If I still have my Indian passport with me. Do you suggest to take my Indian passport as I travel to India or is it a good idea to leave it in the USA. I will be traveling with my eVisa and US Passport of course.

Thank you proonindiandoc and appreciate your feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by nishiology View Post
          Ok, I have been reviewing the e-Visa website as well. I am planning on traveling to India in May of 2018. The web site says to apply for an e-visa 3 or 4 weeks prior to travel. I plan on applying for an eVisa 4 weeks prior to travel. At the time of travel I am hoping by then or before that time I receive my certificate of naturalization and I can start the process of renunciation. However If in case I don't receive my naturalization certificate by then and If I still have my Indian passport with me. Do you suggest to take my Indian passport as I travel to India or is it a good idea to leave it in the USA. I will be traveling with my eVisa and US Passport of course.

Thank you proonindiandoc and appreciate your feedback.
          read my suggestion and read the Warning on your Indian Passport said that you must surrender your Indian passport once acquired a foreign nationality, and cannot use the passport to travel, each of the stamps, Consulate will penalize you for $500 USD. Follow my advise you will safe, do not rush the process. You may apply for Renunciation if you got the Certificate back before your travel, but not OCI. By the way, E-visa only takes you 48 hour, not 3-4 weeks. if you still confused, PM me.

Comment

Travelling to India with unsurrendered Indian passports

Hello all,

We are in a similar boat. We have an unavoidable 3-week travel on June 5th 2018.

-->Naturalization date (oath ceremony) for me and my wife: May 1st 2018
            -->Expected date for US Passport arrival via expedited method (max 2-3 weeks, door to door) ~ May 23rd

Due to the limited time before the unavoidable June 5th travel (sibling's wedding!), we can neither surrender our Indian passports nor apply for OCI until we return to the US.

Based on the above, can someone please advise, given the below travel dates/situation.

1. Given that we will have US passports in hand by May 23rd, and a travel date of June 5th, which visa is appropriate?
            2. What is the processing time for such visas - best and worst case scenerio?
            3. Our minor child holds an Indian passport and has a green card. Do you advise we apply for her passport too (and the visa)?
            4. Can the minor child travel using the GC and Indian passport for now, and apply for US Passport after returning to the US?
            5. Should we carry or not carry our Indian passports?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Limbo state

If you get naturalized, you have to get US passport and renounce Indian citizenship/passport. You are in a limbo state until you get visa/oci to travel back to India.

If you go to India with both passports, you could get arrested and fined!! May be you know some high level official (wink wink) to get around this. I read this before on India govt website/pdf, but don't have patience to look for that now.

Comment

Ref

Here is some reference:

CKGS help --- https://www.in.ckgs.us/faq/renunciat...ng-foreign#266

Q.1. Can I still hold my Indian passport after acquiring Foreign Citizenship?
                The Indian Citizenship Act, 1955, does NOT allow dual citizenship.

Holding an Indian passport or acquiring an Indian passport or travelling on an Indian passport after acquisition of foreign citizenship constitutes an offence under the Indian Passport Act, 1967 and attracts penalties.
                Person whose previous nationality was Indian before acquiring any foreign nationality, are required to surrender their Indian passports to the nearest Indian Mission/Post immediately after acquisition of foreign citizenship and obtain a surrender certificate.

Please click on the URL given below. Simply fill in the questions and you will get all the information of the visa / category including jurisdiction, fees, document, checklist, forms, etc.

Chicago Indian Consulate -- http://indianconsulate.com/page/display/15/11

Please note that use of Indian passport after acquiring foreign nationality is illegal and would attract a penalty of US 500/- in addition to the penalty which the competent authority may determine on case to case basis.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X