Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B2 Visa rejected

Hello all,

My mother in law applied for her Visitor visa 3 weeks back. My mother in law and Father in law are separated recently but not divorced yet and thus that is the reason she went alone for visa interview. We want to apply again and would like to know if what we could do better in the next interview. Below are the questions asked to her

1. Do you have anyone close living in US.
    Ans. Yes my daughter and son-in-law

2. What does you daughter do?
    Ans. She is studying at Golden Gate University

3. What do you do?
    Ans. I am a housewife

4. Why haven't your husband come with you? (this was the tricky one)
    Ans. He has a government job and was hard for him to get a leave.

5. Your visa have been rejected

We didn't want to mention that parents in law are seperated or else she might have been rejected right away as she doesn;t have husband to come back to in India. Please help what can we do better. I also have a brother in law in India who is married and has a kid.

Originally posted by therestrictedone View Post
    Hello all,

My mother in law applied for her Visitor visa 3 weeks back. My mother in law and Father in law are separated recently but not divorced yet and thus that is the reason she went alone for visa interview. We want to apply again and would like to know if what we could do better in the next interview. Below are the questions asked to her

1. Do you have anyone close living in US.
    Ans. Yes my daughter and son-in-law

2. What does you daughter do?
    Ans. She is studying at Golden Gate University

3. What do you do?
    Ans. I am a housewife

4. Why haven't your husband come with you? (this was the tricky one)
    Ans. He has a government job and was hard for him to get a leave.

5. Your visa have been rejected

We didn't want to mention that parents in law are seperated or else she might have been rejected right away as she doesn;t have husband to come back to in India. Please help what can we do better. I also have a brother in law in India who is married and has a kid.

**** **** **** **** *#4 Why haven't your husband come with you? (this was the tricky one) Ans. He has a government job and was hard for him to get a leave. **** **** **** **** ****

When someone says this is a tricky one, it means they are going to lie to get around some truth they do not want to state. You are correct in thinking the visa would probably be denied if she stated she is separated and possibly divorcing. However, that does not mean that committing visa fraud by lying to a visa officer is then ok.

The decision to deny the visa may have been based on more than just this one thing, but for whatever reasons, they feel she is an immigration risk. I am not sure what in her circumstances would change enough to change this perception. All you can do is apply again.

This is my opinion and not legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Trinity71

Comment

It is important to understand that the vast majority of people are very bad liars. In this case, what your mother in law said was actually truthful, but in her mind she was trying to lie. We all reveal "tells" when we're bluffing. Very few people have the confidence & skill (either inherent or acquired through training) to bluff without revealing a "tell", in particular when up against someone trained to spot "tells". A tell is a physical accent conveyed by someones body language & intonation that reveals the veracity of their statement

As a practical matter, consular officers will generally deny B and F visa applicants who come off as hiding something or bluffing. Often it doesn't matter what it is they are hiding or its materiality.

In this case, it is hard to tell if she was denied solely on those grounds, or to what extent it contributed to the decision. Consular officers have to make judgement calls about the immigrant intent of visa applicants based on the totality of information conveyed by the record and interview. In any case, denials are fairly common for similarly-situated people

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X