Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Affidavit of Support for my Wife (filling out i-485)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Affidavit of Support for my Wife (filling out i-485)

Hello,

I'm filling out the paperwork for Adjustment of status for my wife (i-485). She had come to the U.S on a K1 fiance visa. I have a question in regards to filling out the affidavit of support: I-864.
    The form asks for family member details:

My wife has a 6 year old daughter that also traveled with her to live with me, however she was born in the United States and is therefore a citizen. My thinking is she still needs to be included in Part 3 and that I need to list her as her daughter. Then in question #28 on page 3 where it says "Enter the total number of immigrants you are sponsoring on this affidavit. I entered 2 (1 for my wife plus 1 for her daughter). Is this correct?

My other more pressing question is section 5 where it asks for Sponsor's Household size.
    #1 is automatically getting populated with the number I had entered in question #28 on page 3 with "2" (1 for my wife plus 1 for her daughter)
    # 2 says "Yourself" and is automatically populated with 1
    # 3 under this section asks "If you are currently married enter "1" for your spouse". My wife is the person I am sponsoring, so should I leave this blank or do I need to enter 1 here? The issue is if I enter 1 it makes my household size 4 which I don't think is correct. My household size should be 3 (1 for myself, 1 for my sponsored wife, and 1 for her daughter)

What is the proper way to fill this out?

Originally posted by kewltidus View Post
    Hello,

I'm filling out the paperwork for Adjustment of status for my wife (i-485). She had come to the U.S on a K1 fiance visa. I have a question in regards to filling out the affidavit of support: I-864.
    The form asks for family member details:

My wife has a 6 year old daughter that also traveled with her to live with me, however she was born in the United States and is therefore a citizen. My thinking is she still needs to be included in Part 3 and that I need to list her as her daughter. Then in question #28 on page 3 where it says "Enter the total number of immigrants you are sponsoring on this affidavit. I entered 2 (1 for my wife plus 1 for her daughter). Is this correct?
    That's not correct. Part 3 #2-27 are about derivative beneficiaries. Your wife's daughter is not her derivative beneficiary -- she is not immigrating. Part 3 #2 should not be checked and Part 3 #28 should be 1.

Originally posted by kewltidus View Post
    My other more pressing question is section 5 where it asks for Sponsor's Household size.
    #1 is automatically getting populated with the number I had entered in question #28 on page 3 with "2" (1 for my wife plus 1 for her daughter)
    # 2 says "Yourself" and is automatically populated with 1
    # 3 under this section asks "If you are currently married enter "1" for your spouse". My wife is the person I am sponsoring, so should I leave this blank or do I need to enter 1 here? The issue is if I enter 1 it makes my household size 4 which I don't think is correct. My household size should be 3 (1 for myself, 1 for my sponsored wife, and 1 for her daughter)

What is the proper way to fill this out?
    #1 will be 1, #2 will be 1, #3 should be blank, #4 (dependent children) is the place where your wife's daughter may potentially be counted

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X