Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US citizen from birth who was born in Israel

Hi folks,
    I'm a 22 year old guy who was born in Israel with a birth right US citizenship.
    I have a valid US passport and SSN, my English skills are pretty well when it comes to reading, writing, typing (I'm a fast typer :P) and listening.
    However, when it comes to speaking, I'm not doing that great, and that's because my parents were speaking English with me when I was very young, but decided to stop,
    So few years later, Google became my best friend in terms of English understanding.
    When you talk 99% of the time your foreign language, it's tough to suddenly start chatting in English.
    I have no diploma or degree yet whatsoever, so basically my question is, what are my odds of finding a job in the US with my current status and is there anything that I have to take into consideration?

Would be much appreciated to hear from the local experts

Cheers! or whatever the equivalent is
    Last edited by davidgpilot; 10-11-2017, 07:47 AM.

Originally posted by davidgpilot View Post
    Hi folks,
    I'm a 22 year old guy who was born in Israel with a birth right US citizenship.
    I have a valid US passport and SSN, my English skills are pretty well when it comes to reading, writing, typing (I'm a fast typer :P) and listening.
    However, when it comes to speaking, I'm not doing that great, and that's because my parents were speaking English with me when I was very young, but decided to stop,
    So few years later, Google became my best friend in terms of English understanding.
    When you talk 99% of the time your foreign language, it's tough to suddenly start chatting in English.
    I have no diploma or degree yet whatsoever, so basically my question is, what are my odds of finding a job in the US with my current status and is there anything that I have to take into consideration?

Would be much appreciated to hear from the local experts

Cheers! or whatever the equivalent is
    As far as you're current status, you're a U.S. citizen with a SSN so that makes you eligible to work in the U.S., and you would be able to start applying for jobs as soon as you arrive. There are many many many people here in the U.S. without degrees or diplomas that speak literally almost no English at all. They also cannot read it or write it and they seem to get along fine.

Because you have some ability with reading, writing, typing and listening in English, you're already ahead of the game so to speak. Your native language could also be a benefit to you here. Many companies, universities, etc. here in the U.S. need bilingual people to interact with customers or students from all over the world. This could be verbally, or through chat, etc. I would not think you would have any problems here at all. Good Luck to you!

This is my opinion and not legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Trinity71

Comment

Except for professionals (engineers, doctors, architects, etc) most people here are paid to solve problems, learn new things, and deal with people

You'll do just fine.

Make sure you satisfy all your service obligations to your country before leaving, so that you always have the option of returning if things in the United States don't work out the way you like

Comment

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
        Except for professionals (engineers, doctors, architects, etc) most people here are paid to solve problems, learn new things, and deal with people

You'll do just fine.

Make sure you satisfy all your service obligations to your country before leaving, so that you always have the option of returning if things in the United States don't work out the way you like
        Thanks for replying, I'd just needed some advice to start from, seems to be scary for starters, but let me tell ya I can't wait to start

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Trinity71 View Post
        As far as you're current status, you're a U.S. citizen with a SSN so that makes you eligible to work in the U.S., and you would be able to start applying for jobs as soon as you arrive. There are many many many people here in the U.S. without degrees or diplomas that speak literally almost no English at all. They also cannot read it or write it and they seem to get along fine.

Because you have some ability with reading, writing, typing and listening in English, you're already ahead of the game so to speak. Your native language could also be a benefit to you here. Many companies, universities, etc. here in the U.S. need bilingual people to interact with customers or students from all over the world. This could be verbally, or through chat, etc. I would not think you would have any problems here at all. Good Luck to you!

This is my opinion and not legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Trinity71
        Thanks for the kind words Trinity.
        Still some arrangements to be done though

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X