Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• change name on greencard, two first names two surnames, no middle name

Hello everyone!

Seven years ago I moved to the US under a fiancé visa. I am from Spain and my name is along the lines of Ana María González Rodriguez (fictitious name but just for this discussion purposes). I never had heard of middle names so filled my papers with Ana as a first and Maria as a middle. Later, I got married and my husband was paranoid with the fact that changing the surname is something American brides do and if I didn't then it would affect our case negatively (although this goes against my beliefs, culture, and laws in my home country). Fast forward to today and I want to recover my identity. Been researching if two surnames cause issues and misunderstandings here in the US with mixed opinions. Even I got people saying it did not cause them trouble but then they give their children one surname because 2 are "problematic." Contradictory, right?

Finally I found in the US the middle name is nothing and is not even part of the legal name to the point that social security does not give importance for it to be an initial or misspelled (per SSA: https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212001 ). Consequently, since I am going to burn about 2000 usd to change my surname back may as well put my first name as it should too so would be first: Ana María, NO middle name, last: González Rodriguez.

Therefore I was wondering if someone has been in that position before to have two firsts, no middle, two lasts and if any challenges arouse.

Also, did anyone replaced their green card due to name change and how was the process?

Thank you in advance

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X