STEM OPT Extension while being married

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STEM OPT Extension while being married

Q. Does being married to a US citizen affect the eligibility of STEM OPT extension?

I graduated from a university in the US with a STEM degree, and I got my initial OPT. I got married and I found a job.
    I have been working for a while now, and my initial OPT is going to expire in a few months. My spouse and I have not applied for AOS yet because of the fee and everything, and I was hoping we could apply for AOS within the total of 3 years of OPT (1 year initial OPT & 2 year STEM OPT).

However, I recently started wondering if I can even extend my OPT to STEM OPT because I am married to a US citizen.
    OPT is still a F1 visa, a non-immigrant visa which is granted to those who have no immigrant intent. I am married to a US citizen, and I started getting worried if they might reject my STEM OPT extension application based on the fact that I have a USC spouse, as it looks like I have immigrant intent.

For a fact, if you are applying for a student visa or something in your country, and if they find out you actually have an American lover, they will most likely reject your visa application because they will assume you have immigrant intent and live together with them.

Is there anyone who has ever been in the same situation as I (Applying for OPT extension being married to a USC and having not been applied for AOS yet)? Please help! Thanks!

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X