F1 student visa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 student visa

I am a student on F1 visa. I entered the United States with a valid student visa in 2014. I completed my OPT on May 9 2017. I applied for a SEVIS transfer in April 2017. My old university did not transfer it within the transferable period and hence my new University had to issue me an i20 in June 2017. The college transferred my SEVIS after my OPT grace period ended and my file was closed. My new university sent a request to USCIS to open my file in order for me to get the same SEVIS for the new program, but after these attempts they issues me a new SEVIS. So technically I did not have an i20 during this one month period. I would like to add that I have had a valid visa during this period.
    Now I would like to go to India for two weeks and my DSO says I will not have an issue on my way back since my status was active on their system and we were continuously communicating with my previous University, USCIS and my current university regarding my SEVIS. Also, will I need to give another visa interview on my way back

Once you are out of F1 status, I believe you have to get F1 reinstatement to get back into F1 status, and that requires filing I-539 and being approved by USCIS. Having an I-20 does not necessarily mean you are in status.

But even if you had been out of status for months, that does not necessarily prevent you from getting a visa. It depends on the officer.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X