Is I-485 mandatory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is I-485 mandatory?

Im a USC and my husband is a UK citizen. I lived on the island of Guernsey for 6 months and quite liked it. He's visited me here in Texas many times and has liked it but we aren't sure where we want to permanently settle. Is it possible for him to live here and work for a bit without filing for the I-485? We'd like to be sure before we spend the time and money on citizenship for either country.

Originally posted by AndiD29 View Post
    Im a USC and my husband is a UK citizen. I lived on the island of Guernsey for 6 months and quite liked it. He's visited me here in Texas many times and has liked it but we aren't sure where we want to permanently settle. Is it possible for him to live here and work for a bit without filing for the I-485? We'd like to be sure before we spend the time and money on citizenship for either country.
    Yes he can as long as he can get working visa. H1b is pretty hard to get since 99.9% chance it will go through working visa lottery.
    PD: 08/30/2017

11/14/2017, I-765 status was changed to "New card is being produced".
    11/16/2017, I-765 status was changed to "Card was Mailed To Me".
    11/18/2017, Approval notices were received in mail for I-765 and 1-131. they would be valid for one year.
    11/20/2017, Combo card was delivered.
    09/06/2018, EAD renewal was received.
    09/17/2018, Fingerprint Review was completed.
    11/19/2018, Interview was scheduled.

Comment

Originally posted by AndiD29 View Post
      Unless he can get a visa that allows him to work like h1 or j1 - he has to file 1-485 if he is in the US. It cost roughly $2K to file all the required paperwork which is not much is you consider the benefits.

Comment

Thank you for the quick responses...I assumed that was the answer I was going to get but I wanted to be sure before we did anything. Thanks again!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X