No announcement yet.

i feel i am a victim of marriage fraud.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i feel i am a victim of marriage fraud.

me and my wife have been married for the past 4 years. she recently got her permanent residency greencard and i actually advised her to apply for citizenship since its been 4 years since she got her first green card. I realized she turned weird ever since then and recently we filled for divorce and made it clear she will live overseas and come visit to maintain her greencard. As soon as she mentioned that she wanted a divorce, and said what she said i felt betrayed and that only all she cared about this whole marriage was to gain the option to have a residency to come back to the states. I feel she only married me and left her family back home to be able to get the papers and now that she got her residency couple of months later she told me she wanted a divorce. i feel lost and helpless, what should i do?

See a therapist

The joke is on her - she can't use permanent residency as a supervisa to live abroad and come visit periodically. She can only do that once she naturalizes as a US citizen

Comment

still doesnt she have the right to come every 6 months to stay some period/? in order to apply for citizenship after?

Comment

No. A bona fide permanent resident must actually treat the United States as their permanent home, even if they are abroad temporarily (eg for work or school or to visit family).

Comment

so does that mean if she plans to visit every 4 to 5 months at a time to keep her green card she cant?
          should i report her to USCIS?

Comment

What would be the purpose of reporting her unusual living locations arrangement?

My advise is to not report anything to USCIS unless you have hardcopy evidence of fraud, which you don't have. Making an enemy out of an ex-wife doesn't serve any purpose except to add "enemy" to your list of people to avoid in the future.

--Ray B

Originally posted by don80 View Post
            so does that mean if she plans to visit every 4 to 5 months at a time to keep her green card she cant?
            should i report her to USCIS?

Comment

No need to report her to anyone

Comment

i dont have any evidence but verbal conversation which isnt evidence. she physically abused me at some point but that is not ground.
                now why are some of you so sure that she won't be able to keep her permenant residency card? sorry i am not familiar with the rules

Comment

bump

Comment

i dont have any evidence but verbal conversation which isnt evidence. she physically abused me at some point but that is not ground.
                    now why are some of you so sure that she won't be able to keep her permenant residency card? sorry i am not familiar with the rules
                    Because if she stay outside US borders for more than 6 months, she'll loose her status
                    Marriage based- Concurrent filling

01/09/2018 - PD date.
                    01/22/2018 - Date received NOA letters
                    01/23/2018 - Received Biometric App Notice
                    02/09/2018 - Biometric Walk-in
                    02/23/2018 - Received Courtesy letter for I-693
                    03/25/2018 - Applied for AP I-131
                    04/20/2018 - Raised SR for I-765 (day 101)
                    04/30/2018 - "Case Ready to schedule for an interview"
                    05/10/2018 - Recived AP I-131 card/form
                    06/05/2018 - EAD/Approved/Card on production
                    06/07/2018 - Interview/Approved/Card on production

Comment

She is subject to loss of her Green Card if she is out of the U.S. for a year or more (not 6 months).

--Ray B

Originally posted by xnot View Post
                      Because if she stay outside US borders for more than 6 months, she'll loose her status

Comment

which green card?

me and my wife have been married for the past 4 years. she recently got her permanent residency greencard and i actually advised her to apply for citizenship since its been 4 years since she got her first green card. I realized she turned weird ever since then and recently we filled for divorce and made it clear she will live overseas and come visit to maintain her greencard. As soon as she mentioned that she wanted a divorce, and said what she said i felt betrayed and that only all she cared about this whole marriage was to gain the option to have a residency to come back to the states. I feel she only married me and left her family back home to be able to get the papers and now that she got her residency couple of months later she told me she wanted a divorce. i feel lost and helpless, what should i do?
                        I am confused. After you married, did she get the conditional green card and not remove the conditions? Usually, the process is: Marry, apply for conditional LPR valid for two years, then apply to remove the conditions (if you don't do this, she loses her status), and then after 1 year of regular LPR she is eligible to naturalize.

You say that it's been 4 years since her first green card, but also that she "recently" got her green card. What do you mean?

Losing her status is a bit more complicated than just the amount of time she spends outside of the US. Other things matter, like property, taxes, employment, etc.

Also, if she were with you because of marriage fraud, why wouldn't she have naturalized as soon as she could & then left? Staying in LPR status for longer than necessary doesn't really make sense if your goal is citizenship. Her desire to maintain her green card status even without you doesn't make the whole marriage a fraud.
                        2/20: Received at Chicago lockbox
                        4/04: We reviewed your biometrics and are processing your case (I-765 & I-485)
                        4/18: Ready to be scheduled for an interview (No notification, not updated on either site until Aug 27)
                        4/19: Request to expedite EAD
                        5/11: Received EAD
                        6/26: Applied for Advance Parole
                        8/09: Advance Parole approved
                        8/29: Scheduled for Interview
                        10/11: Interview
                        10/12: RFE on I-130 (misplaced G28)
                        10/16: Sent new G28
                        10/19: Approved!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X