Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Student Studying Abroad shortly after naturalization

Hello!

I am an Indian permanent resident student who took my US naturalization interview a few weeks back and am currently waiting on my oath ceremony notification. I am going to be studying abroad in Spain starting mid January and for that I will need to apply for the student visa as I will be studying there for ~5 months. In order to apply for the visa, I need a US passport or my indian passport + greencard. It looks like unfortunately will not be able to get my US passport in time to apply for my visa before the beginning of the program so I will need to apply with my indian passport and greencard.

The issue with this is that I will be giving my greencard up during my oath ceremony so if I do that, I will be entering spain with my spanish visa & my indian passport and returning with a US passport. Is that allowed?

Thank you!

The rule is that US citizens must depart and return using their US passport

Because there is no US outbound immigration exit control, in practice you can get away with what you propose

Comment

i don't see a problem from the US perspective from what you described, but not sure about Spain? would the school be requiring your green card when you start school? if not, then i see no problems for you since you would be travelling with your US passport (since you implied that you will have it with you when you travel to Spain) and enter with US Passport/ Indian Passport.

Comment

Originally posted by nt92 View Post
        Hello!

I am an Indian permanent resident student who took my US naturalization interview a few weeks back and am currently waiting on my oath ceremony notification. I am going to be studying abroad in Spain starting mid January and for that I will need to apply for the student visa as I will be studying there for ~5 months. In order to apply for the visa, I need a US passport or my indian passport + greencard. It looks like unfortunately will not be able to get my US passport in time to apply for my visa before the beginning of the program so I will need to apply with my indian passport and greencard.

The issue with this is that I will be giving my greencard up during my oath ceremony so if I do that, I will be entering spain with my spanish visa & my indian passport and returning with a US passport. Is that allowed?

Thank you!
        You might want to check with the Spanish Immigration to be sure it poses no problem for you. Some, most countries, have exit controls and review how one entered the country before the exit stamp is applied in the passport.

Comment

Originally posted by nt92 View Post
          Hello!

Thank you!
          Make sure your Green Card will not be expired by your expected return date, in case your oath ceremony is delayed. You may also want to arrange for AP, for the same reason.
          Last edited by NettieL; 11-10-2017, 04:51 PM.
          Not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X