Permanent Resident or US Citizen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permanent Resident or US Citizen

My sister-in-law, an adult, is going to be petitioned for and apply for AOS, would it be better for her mom (a permanent resident) to file or her dad (a us citizen). I have read that it can take longer with a US Citizen. But we aren't sure which route to go. She is in the us under tps.

It should go without saying that the quickest pathway to permanent residence is if she is the immediate relative of a US citizen. For an adult, that means being the spouse of a US citizen

That said, F1 vs F2B are in the same ballpark right now, with F2B being 90 days ahead. Both have such a long wait time that it is imprudent for a TPS holder to expect to remain in the US without accruing unlawful presence when their priority date becomes current

Comment

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
      It should go without saying that the quickest pathway to permanent residence is if she is the immediate relative of a US citizen. For an adult, that means being the spouse of a US citizen

That said, F1 vs F2B are in the same ballpark right now, with F2B being 90 days ahead. Both have such a long wait time that it is imprudent for a TPS holder to expect to remain in the US without accruing unlawful presence when their priority date becomes current
      Of course that's the best, at this point that unfortunately isn't an option for her. So we are trying to work with what we got. Thank you for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by arbrts View Post
        My sister-in-law, an adult, is going to be petitioned for and apply for AOS, would it be better for her mom (a permanent resident) to file or her dad (a us citizen). I have read that it can take longer with a US Citizen. But we aren't sure which route to go. She is in the us under tps.
        "Sister-in-law", meaning she is married? A permanent resident cannot petition a married child. Only a US citizen can petition a married child (in the F3 category).

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X