E3 applicant divorcing American citizen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E3 applicant divorcing American citizen

I got married to a US citizen while I was on an E3. Unfortunately, he was cheating on me and had lied about several very important facets of his past, so I left him in April and came home to Australia.

It took me about two months to find a divorce lawyer, and he was quite incompetent so my ex has only *just* been served.

The problem is that I now have a job offer in the US. Even though I will have my divorce in about two months, I am worried that when I apply for my E3 it'll appear that I'm intending to immigrate permanently as I'm married (how they'll know: I'll have to tick "married" on my application form. I also last filed taxes in the US as "married", so when they look up my social security number--a required component of the DS-160--they'll see it anyway).

Does anyone think that this could cause a problem? I believe that one of the requirements for the E3 is to demonstrate that you're not intending to immigrate permanently, which I am not. I could show correspondence with my lawyer that I've filed for divorce. Any advice is much appreciated.

You can explain your situation in the visa interview

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X