Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L2 EAD with pending L1 and L2 extension

Hi all,

I am on L2 and currently both my I-94 and EAD are valid till March 22, 2018. The request to extend the petition for both [my husband (L1A - I-129) and myself (L2 - I-539)] has already been filed (under regular processing) with USCIS on October 11, 2017 by my husband's employer. However, unfortunately my L2 EAD couldn't be filed along with the petition extension because of the policy set by my husband's employer.

Given that the extension has been filed under regular processing, I assume USCIS is going to take at least 3 months to process approval of extension (i.e., by around January, 2018). I plan to apply for my EAD renewal now because filing for EAD extension after the approval of L1/L2 extension will be too late.

Please note the chance of employer to file the L1/L2 extension in premium category is very little.

In this situation, I just wanted get your expert advice on the below questions please.
    1. As I will file L2 EAD renewal based on L1/L2 extension receipt notice, is it possible that USCIS will provide EAD approval rather than asking for RFE in case my extension for L1/L2 gets already approved in the system by the time they handle the case for EAD?

2. If USCIS comes back to me with RFE for EAD renewal, within how many days do I need to respond them back? Is it 90 days?

3. And, finally, if RFE for proof on approved L2 extension is received and I am able to respond RFE, in how much time may I expect USCIS to action on my EAD approval?

Thanks for your time and kind help!

Kind Regards,
    Pallavi

L2 EAD with pending L1 and L2 extension

Please share your opinions, I am also in similar situation and looking for your advice.

Thanks,

Comment

I am also in the same boat, I wanna know too... Thanks you.

Comment

Originally posted by paulpallavi View Post
        Hi all,

I am on L2 and currently both my I-94 and EAD are valid till March 22, 2018. The request to extend the petition for both [my husband (L1A - I-129) and myself (L2 - I-539)] has already been filed (under regular processing) with USCIS on October 11, 2017 by my husband's employer. However, unfortunately my L2 EAD couldn't be filed along with the petition extension because of the policy set by my husband's employer.

Given that the extension has been filed under regular processing, I assume USCIS is going to take at least 3 months to process approval of extension (i.e., by around January, 2018). I plan to apply for my EAD renewal now because filing for EAD extension after the approval of L1/L2 extension will be too late.

Please note the chance of employer to file the L1/L2 extension in premium category is very little.

In this situation, I just wanted get your expert advice on the below questions please.
        1. As I will file L2 EAD renewal based on L1/L2 extension receipt notice, is it possible that USCIS will provide EAD approval rather than asking for RFE in case my extension for L1/L2 gets already approved in the system by the time they handle the case for EAD?

2. If USCIS comes back to me with RFE for EAD renewal, within how many days do I need to respond them back? Is it 90 days?

3. And, finally, if RFE for proof on approved L2 extension is received and I am able to respond RFE, in how much time may I expect USCIS to action on my EAD approval?

Thanks for your time and kind help!

Kind Regards,
        Pallavi
        Hello Pallavi,

I was in the same situation. L1 and L2 (I-94) and L2 EAD for my spouse all ending Dec 22, 2017. We filed for L1 (I-129) and L2 (I-539) extensions (regular processing) through my employer on Aug 21, 2017 and received the receipt numbers the following week. Employer wouldnt file for EAD renewal as spouse did not work for the same organization as me.

As soon as we received the receipt numbers, we filed the L2 EAD Renewal separately referencing the 2 receipt numbers in a cover letter. We received the receipt number for L2 EAD renewal on Sep 11, 2017. (100 days before EAD expiry). We could/should have done 120 days in advance but did not have the receipt numbers for L1/L2 extensions. And there is no clear guidance from USCIS (as far as I can tell) how many days in advance should the renewal be filed.

Stroke of luck, we received both L1 and L2 extensions on Sep 26, 2017. There was no movement on the EAD case though. After 75 days (after thanksgiving), we created a service request for a status and on Dec 4, we received an RFE for the EAD case asking for Approved L1 and L2 extension notices (I-797 and I-94). We have submitted those and now awaiting a decision on the EAD renewal. It is not clear how long will it take to USCIS to adjudicate the EAD case based on the response provided for the RFE. Response time for RFE was slightly less than 90 days (slightly more than 2.5 months).

The key thing to note is the L1 and L2 extension status on the USCIS website still says "Case is Received" - even though they were approved months ago.

All cases were filed with the California Service Center.

Good luck to you and everyone else.

Comment

L2 EAD renewal with L2 extension

Hi all,

I'm in a similar situation. I'm starting to get anxious, because my EAD will expire on January 27th 2018.
          My husband's employer filled my L2 extension (I-539) and EAD renewal (I-765) together, the cases were received on October 25th.

Pallavi, did you have any news about your L2 visa extension? I would like to know if your case was approved fast like arajesh19's case (36 days).

Your case was filled 2 weeks before mine,and I want to have an idea how long should I wait to ask my husband's employer.

I'm afraid that the holidays may impact our time processing.

I hope everything goes well

Thank you!!!

Comment

Originally posted by yise View Post
            Hi all,

I'm in a similar situation. I'm starting to get anxious, because my EAD will expire on January 27th 2018.
            My husband's employer filled my L2 extension (I-539) and EAD renewal (I-765) together, the cases were received on October 25th.

Pallavi, did you have any news about your L2 visa extension? I would like to know if your case was approved fast like arajesh19's case (36 days).

Your case was filled 2 weeks before mine,and I want to have an idea how long should I wait to ask my husband's employer.

Thank you!!!
            12/20/2017: As an update to my case, USCIS has approved the L2 EAD renewal case today.

Dec 4: RFE issued
            Dec 9: RFE received
            Dec 11: RFE response sent to USCIS
            Dec 13: Response acknowledgement from USCIS
            Dec 18: Contacted local congressman's office for help with expedition
            Dec 19: Follow up with local congressman's office for assistance. Received a comment from their office that Case was Approved and Card in Production.
            Dec 20: Update on USCIS website that Case is Approved (no note about Card production and mailing).

Total number of days: 100.

Good luck to all in the same boat.

Lessons learned:
            File L1/L2 extensions at earliest possible time.
            File L2 EAD renewal as soon as receipt numbers for L1/L2 extensions have been received.
            Hope that L1/L2 extensions come as quickly as possible.
            Await RFE for L2 EAD (as decision is based on L1/L2 extension).
            Respond to RFE as quickly as possible (if all evidences are in hand).
            Wait a couple of days for USCIS to acknowledge RFE response.
            Consider contacting local congressman's office for expedition. It is possible their inquiry for my case sped up the decision.

Comment

I too had a recent experience of extending my L1, Wife's L2 and her EAD. However mine was filed under premium processing and my employer agreed to send the EAD renewal application together with the L1 extension request. In our case, all of them were set to expire on 1/1/18. Documents were filed on 11/20 and EAD status was seen as "Card was mailed to me" within just 5 days. Following week, L1 also got approved. My wife got the renewed EAD within 2 weeks of applying. It is now valid till 1/1/20, same as my visa.

Comment

Hi all,

Thank you!!!

Hello yise,
                I am sorry to be late in responding.

My spouse applied for premium processing for L1/L2 visa extension and got approved

11/07 - changed the processing mode form "regular" to "premium"
                11/22 - L1/L2 extension approved
                11/24 - L2 EAD application filed with USCIS
                11/27 - EAD receipt notice received

As of now, the status of EAD application says: "Case received!"

Good luck with your case!

Regards,
                Pallavi

Comment

Hi all,

Thank you!!!
                  Hello yise,
                  I am sorry to be late in responding.

My spouse applied for premium processing for L1/L2 visa extension and got approved

11/07 - changed the processing mode form "regular" to "premium"
                  11/22 - L1/L2 extension approved
                  11/24 - L2 EAD application filed with USCIS
                  11/27 - EAD receipt notice received

As of now, the status of EAD application says: "Case received!"

Good luck with your case!

Regards,
                  Pallavi

Comment

Thanks Pallavi and Arajesh19 for your replies!!

Comment

EAD Approved while L1 and L2 extension status still pending

Originally posted by appuchan View Post
                      I too had a recent experience of extending my L1, Wife's L2 and her EAD. However mine was filed under premium processing and my employer agreed to send the EAD renewal application together with the L1 extension request. In our case, all of them were set to expire on 1/1/18. Documents were filed on 11/20 and EAD status was seen as "Card was mailed to me" within just 5 days. Following week, L1 also got approved. My wife got the renewed EAD within 2 weeks of applying. It is now valid till 1/1/20, same as my visa.
                      Hi appuchan -

I saw your post in this forum which seems to be very similar to my situation. My husband and I filed for his L1-A, my L-2 and EAD (I-765) concurrently through premium processing and was received by USCIS on 2/21/2018. Today, the case status for EAD shows, the card has been put into production as of today. However, the status for both L-1 and L-2 still shows received by USCIS. I would like to understand is it possible to get the EAD approved before L-1 and L-2 approvals? Can it also mean that L-1 and L-2 are approved too but their status is not yet updated on the USCIS site? Any guidance is really appreciated.

Comment

L1/L2 Visa Renewal and L2 EAD Renewal

Following this thread, I'm also in similar situation. My husbands employer has agreed to file concurrently my L2 EAD Extension along with L1/L2 renewal. Should be filling in the application work soon. This thread has been very useful in making the decision of concurrent filling.

Thank you all.

Comment

Hi Yise,

I am in same situation as yours. Can you please tell me when did you received your EAD card? Please respond back.

Thanks

Comment

How do people have their EAD and L2 visa's expiring the same time ? I mean EAD's are valid for 2 years and L2 can be upto 3 years, so if EAD is applied as soon as L2 visa holder arrives in US, then it is surely going to expire before L2 expires?
                            I guess this is possible if EAD is applied only post 1 year of L2 visa issue, since then EAD will be given only till L1 petition approval date? Is this understanding correct?

Am asking since my spouse's L2 expires few months (July) after her EAD expiry (Mar) and my company will only apply for L1/L2 extension around Mar/April, and hence I need to apply for EAD renewal earlier to ensure there is work approval before EAD expires. And this means they will only extend the EAD till July (current petition end date) and then I need to again apply for extension post receipt of L1/L2 extension. So basically will need to pay $410 two times.

Thx

Comment

Originally posted by AKAI View Post
                              How do people have their EAD and L2 visa's expiring the same time ? I mean EAD's are valid for 2 years and L2 can be upto 3 years, so if EAD is applied as soon as L2 visa holder arrives in US, then it is surely going to expire before L2 expires?
                              I guess this is possible if EAD is applied only post 1 year of L2 visa issue, since then EAD will be given only till L1 petition approval date? Is this understanding correct?

Am asking since my spouse's L2 expires few months (July) after her EAD expiry (Mar) and my company will only apply for L1/L2 extension around Mar/April, and hence I need to apply for EAD renewal earlier to ensure there is work approval before EAD expires. And this means they will only extend the EAD till July (current petition end date) and then I need to again apply for extension post receipt of L1/L2 extension. So basically will need to pay $410 two times.

Thx
                              Yes, your understanding is correct. However, there are other reasons for ead and L2/L1 expiring together too.
                              Not everybody gets their L1 petition approved for 3 yrs and so in cases where the approval is for less than 2 yrs, the ead is also approved for similar time period as L1/L2 validity.
                              Aside, anybody here knows what happened with Yise since she doesn?t seem to be logging in here often?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X