Health Insurance - GC Parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health Insurance - GC Parents

I have read few posts on this forum and looks like my parent will not be eligible for Medicare or Medicaid right away since my sister is sponsoring their GC . This question may be more like for a tax person, still thought i would give it a shot.

If my dad gets a job here ( he is 70+), assuming his income is less than 30K per annum but he and my mom ( assuming he claims my mom as his dependent) still lives with my sister would they be eligible for Medicare / Medicaid.

Medicaid & Medicare have 5 year waiting period for new qualified immigrants (does not apply to refugees/asylees). Individual states are allowed to relax these rules for Medicare coverage at that states own expense, but I'm not aware of one that would make an exception to new immigrants in your parents situation

Your parents are eligible to participate in their states health insurance exchange, as well as obtain income-based "premium credits" (ie taxpayer subsidy) based on their income. These ACA compliant policies are guarantee-issued, comprehensive, and without exclusions for pre-existing conditions

Comment

They may not be eligible for a domestic insurance plan through the healthcare exchange, (a domestic or ACA compliant plan) depending on their age and state. Many states will not offer plans to persons over the age of 65. You will have to verify if your state, through the Healthcare Exchange,has any plans available for them. If not, your only option would be what they call new immigrant plans or short term plans they can carry for the 5 years while they wait for Medicare eligibility. Those plans cover new illnesses and new injuries, but do not cover anything preventative, routine or pre-existing, so hopefully they are healthy and do not have any pre-existing conditions currently.

As inadmissible stated, they would have to have their green card for 5 years in order to be eligible to get Medicare. Also, an important thing to know, they will have to purchase Medicare. They will not be "eligible for it" as a benefit as they will not have the required work credits (which is the equivalent of working in the U.S. for 10 years). This will be very expensive. You could look into today's rates for their ages 5 years from now and get an idea of what you will be looking at as far as the cost.
      Many people do not research this type of thing and then once they have filed for their parents green cards realize what they will be facing when it comes to medical coverage options and expenses down the road.

Also, they will not be eligible for Medicaid at all. Whoever sponsored the green cards, signed the affidavit of support. This affidavit states that they will provide for the sponsored green card holders so they will not be a burden on the U.S. taxpayers and government benefits. U.S. taxpayers pay into these programs through taxes to take care of themselves and their families if at some point in the future the assistance is needed. Think of it as your bank account. You have $200,000 in your account. My child decides to file for residency for me and I need some medical treatment. So I come and take $100,000 out of your account to pay for it. That's the best way to explain why they won't be eligible for Medicaid.

This is my opinion and not legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Trinity71

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X