I-485

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-485

I'm a UK citizen and married my US fiance on a K-1 visa late February. I filed for I-485 Adjustment of Status in mid March. We visited the USCIS field office in Philadelphia in mid July. The field officer told us the initial processing had been done and that it appeared that the interview had been waived in my case. I took this to suggest the initial processing had flagged no problems. I've had no communication since and obviously no Green Card.

Is this kind of wait normal? is the my case simply slowly making its way to the front of the queue? Is it possible to do anything to expedite the process. I have job offers and am getting tired of waiting.

Thanks

For K-1 AOS a year or so is normal. Not sure why you have issues with job offers; did you not apply for a free EAD at the same time as AOS?

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Thanks, kind of glad to hear the wait is nothing abnormal. The other issue is my fault, for someone reason I'd somehow failed to notice any mention of the temporary work permit (presumably the EAD) until I visited the field office in late July. I applied for one immediately. I'm hoping that will come very soon! I was told average of 90 days and we're a bit over that now.

Comment

Right, you should've filed the I-765 with your initial Adjustment of Status I-485. That would've saved you the time. If you did so earlier, you would've had the EAD card by now. Oh well, you'll just have to wait a tad longer now before you begin working.
        --Good luck--
        Good luck. I learned the hard way, I hope you don't have to. Immigration is interesting. Not considered as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Veuve View Post
          I'm a UK citizen and married my US fiance on a K-1 visa late February. I filed for I-485 Adjustment of Status in mid March. We visited the USCIS field office in Philadelphia in mid July. The field officer told us the initial processing had been done and that it appeared that the interview had been waived in my case. I took this to suggest the initial processing had flagged no problems. I've had no communication since and obviously no Green Card.

Is this kind of wait normal? is the my case simply slowly making its way to the front of the queue? Is it possible to do anything to expedite the process. I have job offers and am getting tired of waiting.

Thanks
          Hope the holiday season has gone well for you. Have you heard any word? I think my wife and I are in the same boat as y'all. We have been waiting for almost two years for an adjustment of status. My wife came over from China on a K1 visa and we got married in April of 2016. Shortly after we filed the I-485 to adjust her status so she could get a status of conditional permanent residency. We thereafter received notice that the I-485 was received. It is now 2018 with no word of how the process has been going. Whenever we contact them they apologize for the wait, but they make no attempt to clarify the situation. Any ideas for paths forward? Thanks all!
          (We had been living together romantically in China from the summer of 2010 to the summer of 2014 when I left to the US to work on this immigration process. While we we on opposite hemispheres, we video chatted for hours everyday until she finally came over on the K1 visa in February of 2016.)

Comment

Nic this is going on for too long, you should contact your Congressperson to intervene on your behalf

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
              For K-1 AOS a year or so is normal. Not sure why you have issues with job offers; did you not apply for a free EAD at the same time as AOS?
              Oops, we didn't realize it would take so long. I spoke to a recruiter who essentially told me to get back to her when I get a green card, that's even though I told her that I have a EAD on hand.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X